Main Menu

Headlight Buckets Paint Color Semi Gloss or Gloss Black ?

Started by 440ehigh, February 01, 2023, 07:58:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

440ehigh

I'm wondering about the actual headlight bucket bracket and legs not the galvanized seats/buckets. What was the original color of this part was it a semi gloss black or a gloss black. I've read that the gloss black used in the 70's is closer to today's semi gloss. But under the bolt's on a couple of the brackets I've taken apart it looks like a gloss black rather than semi gloss or at least the semi gloss I've had painted other parts. I tried taking pictures of the spots but they don't show the up that great. Wondering your guys thoughts on what's the correct original color for a 71 cuda headlight bucket.

Mrbill426

I would think body color, until it was possibly sprayed with blackout paint. :dunno:

anlauto

I would say slightly more gloss than flat, but certainly not a shiny gloss black :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

440ehigh

Ok is that the same for the front bumper support brackets then.

headejm

Very little (if any) gloss black on 1970 E-bodies. Here is a list I put together during the restoration of my car.

Sorry about the sideways photos. I use an iPad and all kinds of weird stuff happens.  :pullinghair:

jimynick

We used to use a paint called "chassis black" and it had a reduced, yet not flat black.. :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

dodj

Quote from: headejm on February 02, 2023, 07:58:38 PM
I use an iPad and all kinds of weird stuff happens.  :pullinghair:
It's an apple feature. They do everything weird
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill