Main Menu

Here's a first---Knock off Latch

Started by anlauto, May 24, 2021, 12:40:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

So one of my customers paid a decent amount of money on eBay to get the so called "rare" 1970 Challenger secondary hood latch hook.  :bigmoney:
When it arrived it was a nice cast grey colour and looked good so my customer and just bolted it on and away we go............ :waving:

UNTIL it saw the latches on all my other projects and the absolutely magical work that Stephan Fournier does to make them look new again....he decided that he wanted all his latches re-done properly, not just "grey paint. :inlove:

So today I get the call from Stephan....seems the hook in question is a forgery .... :foul:

Someone actually took a 69 B Body hook, likely Charger, welded up the pull lever holes on each side, fabricated the handle parts from a piece of flat steel and crudely welded it to the hook....They smoothed everything out with bondo, including the wrong date code, then applied a nice coat of paint.... :headbang:

Obviously this type of work can not be properly plated without a TON of extra polishing.... :pullinghair:

SO it just goes to show you.....You never know what's hiding under the paint when you buy a "finished car/part"
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Well thats certainly no fun....
You should enlighten us as to who the seller was
Is Stefan going to rework/polish that turd or are you looking for the real deal.
PM me if the latter

Purepony

Markets getting desperate
Parts are getting harder to find
Crazy to see what it's come to.

70 Top Banana

anlauto

To be fair....I don't know how it was advertised...I would like to think the ad said "fits 70 Challenger" not something like "Rare original 70 only Challenger" :dunno:

When painted grey, it did "look the part" and perform the job  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration