Main Menu

Hood hinges

Started by Rdchallenger, August 13, 2020, 12:40:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Digging out my hood hinges to clean them up and get epoxied I see what looks like alterations (and bad ones at that) to where the bolts go into the hood. Any ideas to why this may have been done? The hinges don't seem to be worn out at I can't move them any by hand so I guess I will save my money and try to weld them up.

7E-Bodies

Looks like somebody gave up on the dreaded ebody rear of the hood lifting (for lack of a better term). Easily welded up though. Do you use a piece of heavy copper plate like I do? Weld won't stick to it. Great for filling holes and gaps with MIG. 
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Rdchallenger

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 13, 2020, 01:13:53 PM
Looks like somebody gave up on the dreaded ebody rear of the hood lifting (for lack of a better term). Easily welded up though. Do you use a piece of heavy copper plate like I do? Weld won't stick to it. Great for filling holes and gaps with MIG.

That's what I was sort of thinking as well 😂 but since there doesn't seem to be any play in them they're definitely going to be used...

Yep! A copper spoon, best Harbor Freight purchase I have ever made :woohoo:

7E-Bodies

Cool. I keep scads of copper plate around for making specific pieces. Was gonna send you a chunk if you hadn't heard of doing that.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Rdchallenger

Thanks Kevin! I truly appreciate the gesture. :cheers:

Scooter

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 13, 2020, 01:13:53 PM

Wouldn't you hog out the other side to make it lower? Or am I looking at the photo wrong?  :dunno: