Main Menu

Hood Hinges ?

Started by johnr, April 17, 2023, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

johnr

:thinking:    I am working on rejuvenating the hood hinges, today. I have got them all sandblasted, cleaned & prepped. I have never been a big fan of painting hood hinges because they look great when fresh, but a couple years down the road not so much. The last hood hinges I did by Parkerizing them like a gun. I did like that and so far so good. This set I am thinking perhaps Powder Coating. Looking for the opinions from some of you.
--  johnr  --

Challenger in NC

I just got my hinges back from being restored and I will probably paint them even though they will get scraped up almost immediately. Powder coating would be more durable than standard paint but  would not hold up as well as the phosphate coating. Would it look weird to powder coat the coil and upper part but leave the bottom portion of the hinge phosphate?

pschlosser

Is Parkerizing hard to do?  What kinds of materials and tools are required to do it?  Can you explain, briefly?

B5fourspeed

Power coat the hinges then spray the color for a good match

70/6chall

I know a lot of you E-body enthusiasts won't agree with what I did. But ratty looking hood hinges that don't look great in a nice engine bay drive me crazy. I started cleaning my engine bay up in my 70 Slant6 Challenger about 20 years ago and then maintaining it after that to keep it looking good later on. Didn't know what to do with the hinges but painting them fresh looks good and then a couple years down the road then you have to clean up and repaint again. Just said "Oh to hell with it" and had them chrome plated. They still look great to this day and the hinge spring shows no sign of cracking or wear.
Besides what's a little bling.  Thanks,   Al

johnr

The man that does my powder coating for me advised I not do that. They are now back home to get back to the original plan of parkerizing. I think I am going to build a stainless steel tray just for plating hood hinges. The process is not hard to do and it does come in different shades/colors.
--  johnr  --

pschlosser

I prefer the hinges painted the engine compartment and under hood color.  I think it blends in the best.  A differing color makes them stand out too much.  A good quality paint job with a few coats is ideal, so it will withstand periodic cleaning.

Regardless the type of coating, be it chrome, parkerized or paint, this is an area that will get detailed and cleaned as dirt residue builds up at the greased pivot points.

70/6chall

Seriously guys since I did have them chromed And what's done is done. I thought why not incorporate both bling and factory truness. How about just a fresh repaint of the hinge itself in my K2 Orange and leave the spring plated since it has no issues of cracking or wear. Chrome and color.  Thanks,   Al

johnr

Has anyone had experience with the newer Cerakote?
--  johnr  --