Main Menu

Hood to fender gap is tight

Started by Jsand73440, March 10, 2022, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jsand73440

Have new AMD front fenders and a new hood. My gaps are tight, like 1/8 or so. I pulled the doors further out in order to move the fenders out to get the fender gaps where they need to be, but then the doors are misaligned.
My understanding is that the doors are aligned to the rear quarters and the bottom of the door jamb/rocker. After that then you alight the front fenders and hood.
Any other ideas how to get the correct gaps to hood?

rhamson

I had the same problem with my original fenders and had to bend the door to match at the quarter panel as well. If you are a he man and can grab it at the top and bottom to bend it without wrenching your back, have at it. I made myself a little jig that works great. If you have some plywood you might want to make one too. Here's a picture of what I made.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

So are the bottoms of the doors out past the rocker a a bit in the front? Were the quarters replaced at any time, your thinking is correct that you get door/quarter and door/rocker alignment first but if the quarters were replaced that is another variable depending on how close to factory position they are? If so one option is tapping in the bottom edge of the doors a little and you can also spoon the fender edge in a little to better align with the front edge of the door. Getting good gaps on these cars is a lot of adjusting tweaking and finding a good compromise, unless you want to go for perfect gaps which means cutting/welding/grinding/filing/filler.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Jsand73440

The doors and the rockers are the only original parts. quarters were replaced when i first started replacing panels. My thoughts now are to get the doors to rockers and rear quarters as perfect as i can, and then line up fenders to doors, and then get the hood centered. At that point i will get the measurements i need and see how far i need to move the fron fenders out to get the 3/16 gap. From there i guess i can see what the doors will need to get re-aligned. Thanks for the ideas guys. I don't think it will take much, but I really want to keep that 3/16 gap, because that is what i have perfected everywhere else. My new deck lid was a mess as well. I welded on the edges to get the gaps where i needed. I spent a lot of time with a handfile getting the edge perfect.