Main Menu

How do I remove window tint?

Started by blown motor, October 30, 2021, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Some of it is really stuck on. How do I soften it so I can peel or scrape it off?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Skdmark

Heat gun on low to soften
Razor blades to peel
Spray bottle with window cleaner or dish soap
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

dodj

And be careful with the razors....they can give you an irremovable scratch...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

I had good success removing window tint using a clothes steamer.   This was on window film that had spent the better part of 12 years baked outside in the Texas sun.  It didn't work so well on the rear defogger ribbon on the inside of the window as some of the ribbon pulled off with the film, but I don't think anything would've helped that problem.

moparroy

Quote from: dodj on October 30, 2021, 03:23:02 PM
And be careful with the razors....they can give you an irremovable scratch...
Plastic blades - you'll use more but less likely to scratch. I was skeptical at first but they do work.

Brads70

I wonder if acetone would help?  :notsure: Just don't get it on plastic parts like door panels.

70 Top Banana

I used a heat gun on low as well. Just watch the distance. I also used dawn dish soap mixed 50/50 with water and a razor blade. Take your time. I like the comment on the plastic blade.

GoodysGotaCuda

I believe tint guys typically use stainless steel razor blades on glass to mitigate scratching. Steam may be the best bet.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

MoparLeo

Simple answer. Go to your local tint shop and pay them a few dollars to do it. You won't damage anything or have to buy things that you will only use one time. I had a saying in my shop " Do what you do, don't do what you don't do" Cheaper in the long run to have a pro do it.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

E74cuda

This is what I did. You need a warm to hot day, parking the car in the sun. Buy some Ammonia. Use a spray bottle and apply the Ammonia directly on the window tint generously (place some towels at the bottom).
Cover the window tint after spraying it with black plastic. I can't remember exactly but wait around 10 minutes or so (just kind of test as time goes it's been several years since I did this so it might only take a few minutes)  and the tint will just pretty much peel off. You might need to reapply the ammonia depending on the temperature that day. 90 degrees is about right. I guess you can use this method not being in the sun. You will just have to wait longer fot it to take effect.