Main Menu

looking for body shop on Long Island that can do unibody measurements

Started by 72restocuda, November 21, 2022, 07:55:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

Looking a place that still has a frame jig for the old mopars that can see how far out of alignment my Cuda is.  Thanks

jimynick

Being Canadian, I can't help you to source a shop, but which ever shop you choose, try to get one with either a laser or ultra sound system. They're not only accurate, they also can printout the actual readings and if you suspect damage, then arrange to have the guy pull it when and while it's on the bench. I've seen a bunch of them in operation and it's truly amazing how they can perform repairs and restore specs when in the hands of a competent operator! We used to pay 3 hrs for a setup and measure, with repair time paid at straight (actual) time. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on November 21, 2022, 05:48:44 PM
Being Canadian, I can't help you to source a shop, but which ever shop you choose, try to get one with either a laser or ultra sound system. They're not only accurate, they also can printout the actual readings and if you suspect damage, then arrange to have the guy pull it when and while it's on the bench. I've seen a bunch of them in operation and it's truly amazing how they can perform repairs and restore specs when in the hands of a competent operator! We used to pay 3 hrs for a setup and measure, with repair time paid at straight (actual) time. Good luck  :cheers:

Same here no help on a shop :canada:, BUT, what's the scoop, is the car damaged or do you think it is out of alignment.  There is a document floating around the site with the frame dimensions on it.  I am sure with some jack stands you could measure it yourself.  I think @Brads70 posted it.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RacerX

Quote from: Cudajason on November 22, 2022, 05:48:59 AM
Same here no help on a shop :canada:, BUT, what's the scoop, is the car damaged or do you think it is out of alignment.  There is a document floating around the site with the frame dimensions on it.  I am sure with some jack stands you could measure it yourself.  I think @Brads70 posted it.

I can't find them at the moment, but I know they are posted on this site somewhere...    :dunno:

But if you are referring to the diagrams like this one here, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.
There are a few errors and inconsistencies in these and should definitely not be taken as the "final word"

These were created in the 70s by a third party as part of a larger book of frame dimensions for all makes
and very likely were not based on any information supplied by the manufacturers.   In fact, some of them
seems like they measured the car AFTER it was wrapped around a pole...   

If you mean the diagrams in the official Chrysler service manuals that is a different story, but they are of
limited usefulness for some aspects of frame/body alignment.

72restocuda

thanks for the references, I would prefer to bring into someone who can put it up on a frame rack made for these old cars and either tell me that its in or out of alignment but if I have to build something maybe someone else on this site can sell their jig or send me some plans, thanks
-Steve