Main Menu

E Body Frame Diagrams

Started by cataclysm80, December 03, 2017, 07:47:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

I just thought that people might like to have these all in one place.

Not all E bodies are the same as far as frame diagrams are concerned.

The biggest difference is that Challengers have a 2 inch longer wheel base than Barracudas.
This 2 inches is located at the forward edge of the rear seat footwell, and on the quarter panel between the door and the rear wheel.
Challengers and Barracudas do use the same frame rails, but the space between the front and rear rails is different.

Beyond that, each car has 3 frame diagrams.
1970 only
1971 through 1973
1974 only
The differences between the original diagram and its two revisions are subtle.  Most measurements are the same, but a few measurements or measuring points may be different.  Look at the diagrams for all the details.

I can only assume that the revisions were made because of actual changes to the car, and not because of errors on the diagram.
As always, pay attention to what you're doing.

These diagrams are all correctly labeled, having been sourced from the Factory Service Manuals.
Some Factory Service Manuals show a single E body frame diagram as being "typical of E body", even though Plymouth & Dodge had different wheelbases, so be careful looking in the Service Manuals, they may show the wrong diagram for your application.  The diagram label helps to identify what car the diagram was actually created for.
PY913 = Barracuda
PY914 = Challenger

Here we go...

cataclysm80

Barracuda Diagrams

cataclysm80

Challenger Diagrams

cataclysm80

Unfortunately, it seems that a 1974 Challenger frame diagram was never published.

We should have all of the info here to create the diagram though.  Maybe I'll do that someday.

On the 1974 Challenger,...
the measurements for the pair of front frame rails should be the same as the 1974 Barracuda,
the measurements for the pair of rear frame rails should be the same as the 1974 Barracuda,
and the measurements for the middle section of the car from the transmission crossmember to where the rear torque boxes would be, should be the same as the 1973 Challenger.

Chryco Psycho

cataclysm80

OK, I don't like leaving projects incomplete.

Here's the never before seen 1974 Challenger frame diagram.

Cuda Cody

headejm

Better pin this or add to the reference section. Great stuff @cataclysm80:cheers:

340challconvert

Quote from: cataclysm80 on December 03, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
Challenger Diagrams

Thanks for posting the frame diagrams
:bigthumb:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible