Main Menu

Mirror installation help

Started by nsmall, February 25, 2018, 05:28:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I accidentally stripped the rivet and it popped out.

Would I be okay just to screw the screw for the mirror into some sort of speed nut or nut with a lock-tight washer or something because I don't have another rivet to put in here?

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I would do it right & replace the rivet you can use a machine screw with a nut & washer back thee too but it is tough to get to & I would double nut it or at least locktite the nut on

anlauto

No one will know if you fix it your way..... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

For me it is scary tightening the rivnuts into a hole with new paint on it. Chances are you are going to crack some paint. It is a whole lot more work to screw and nut it but there will be less chance of damaging the paint. You'll need patience to nut it though, you should use a washer and double nut it and you're working in a tricky spot against gravity. Is the window in? Much easier if it's out.
Sheldon

nsmall

Thanks for all your help guys. I hardly tighten it so it is what it is.  Ill make it work.  I dropped the rivet about 40 times in the door and finally lost it so that was fun.

Yes it's tight in there.

Thanks again.

Neil

RUNCHARGER

Maybe duct tape a nut and washer in there to start with if possible.
Sheldon

nsmall

Thanks Runcharger.  Heading out right now and of course the window is in because that makes it so much more fun. :whiteflag:

nsmall

I know, I ask a lot of questions.

Does anyone have any idea where this black clip plugs into on the door?

Does anyone have pictures of how to route the wires for the mirror?  Does it run behind the window roller frame (so closet to the door) or in the middle of the door?

Thanks.  Really appreciate the help. I can post more pictures if that would help.

Burdar

I think there is a hole for that clip towards the front of the door...on the inner structure.  The remote cable go around the front side of the glass.

750-h2

RUNCHARGER

There you go. Like they say a photo is worth a thousand words.
Sheldon

Burdar

My 73 also had a metal clip that holds the remote to the impact beam in the door.  Look and see if you have one too.

ZEN357

I'd go with the replacement rivet.

Claudia

IMO - I (unfortunately) already had my car painted when I decided to add a passenger side mirror.  It was nerve racking enough to drill holes into a fresh paint job but I too was worried about damaging the paint trying to install the rivnuts.  As suggested earlier, I ended up using a machine screw with a washer and nut to install my passenger side mirror.  Mirror is good and tight with no issues however, as others have suggested, patience will be needed here as getting the washer and nut on the screw will be a challenge for sure.

As for the black plastic clip, you should have a hole already in the door where this gets installed.  There is also a metal clip that assists with the mirror cable routing.  My mirror did not have the metal clip so I used cable ties instead to route the mirror cables out of the way of the glass up and down movements.  I have attached a couple of picture which hopefully will help.

JS29

I have put grease on nut's and washers so they stick to the socket to do jobs like that.  :alan2cents: