Main Menu

Removing 72 front bumper

Started by 72 Challenger, March 10, 2018, 10:01:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

What do you need to remove in order to get the bumper off? I'm stumped and ended up cracking some trim.

Anyone?
Someday I will have a J0b.

blown motor

Remove the front valance, maybe not necessary but it makes the job much easier. Then I removed the six bolts holding the bumper brackets, three on each side that bolt to the frame. Then you can get the whole bumper and frame off and into a position that makes it easier to get them apart. I think that'll work, it's been a couple years since I did mine.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

72 will only have 4 bolts at the frame rails like 70-71, I agree, easiest with the lower valance removed :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on March 10, 2018, 11:26:30 AM
72 will only have 4 bolts at the frame rails like 70-71, I agree, easiest with the lower valance removed :alan2cents:

Interesting. I expect changes in the impact regulations must have warranted the increase to six.

RUNCHARGER

No impact on 72. 73 is when things went bad.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

I have decided to hold off replacing the bumper due to this thread! The body work is too nice to mess with so I rather deal with an ugly bumper than paint chips on my valence. We will see. I am thinking about selling the car. I really like it and it's in awesome condition but it's just too damn similar to my 1974.

decisions decisions.

PLUM72

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the trick to getting the 4 bolts out that bolt the brackets to the frame?  I recall working on a 72 challenger years ago where an impact wouldn't break those bolts loose.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

72 Challenger

My car has been rotisserie restored so I am not much help there. Mine came off with relative ease.  On my last car where I put a 70 bumper on a 74 I had to ask the junkyard to torch off the bolts.

blown motor

Mine came out without too much difficulty. I find with an impact that sometimes switching from reverse to forward and back a few times can break things loose. I also find that a Johnson bar with a pipe on the end is stronger than an impact. Use the same reverse/forward switching and be careful not to twist it off.