Main Menu

**FOUND** original 71 barracuda front bumper with provision for bumper guards

Started by 198D13, December 11, 2019, 06:05:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

198D13

Looking for a nice original one of these, with the two holes drilled from the factory for the bumper guards. Can have the original guards on it too, that would be great. PM me.
Thank you!

anlauto

Front bumper guard option on a Cuda is a pretty rare option...finding a nice original bumper might be a challenge :alan2cents:

70-71 Cudas also used a reinforcement bar for the front guards not found on any other E Body  :lurking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

198D13

It is rare on 'cuda models, but not so much on a Barracuda Gran Coupe or a base model Barracuda. The one I need is for a Gran Coupe.

anlauto

Yea that's true, certainly more popular on those models...Good luck with your search :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

198D13

The reinforcement bar is the same for 1970-1972 cars, but the guards are different for 1970 and 1971-2.

anlauto

Interesting, I never knew that....Is the difference in the overall length ? I just checked eBay, there's some NOS guards, but no signs of any bumpers. ::)

198D13

1970 guards are longer in height. The 1971 are "stubbier", I believe it has something to do with how close they come to the 71 grille, it sticks out far more than a 70 which is very recessed under the header panel. Chrysler just left it that way for 1972. Kind of like the V5_ body side moldings for front fenders on a 1970 Challenger vs. a 1971-4. The 1971 moldings were shortened to accommodate the possibility of have the wide pot metal molding option for the fender. They just left them that way for 1972-74. Although I think you could get that wide molding as an option on early 1972 cars. I know of at least one example of a 72 with that option on the car and fender tag.

anlauto

fc7cuda

Front bumper guard option NA on 'Cuda models due to road lamps.  It's only on base Barracuda models and Gran Coupes.   :alan2cents:

198D13

Quote from: fc7cuda on December 11, 2019, 10:41:53 AM
Front bumper guard option NA on 'Cuda models due to road lamps.  It's only on base Barracuda models and Gran Coupes.   :alan2cents:
That is only true for 1970 cars, when road lamps were standard on a 'cuda model. In 1971 they were optional, and in 1972, there were no road lamps available, the guards were an option on 'cuda models in 1972.

anlauto

Another excellent point...but a friend of mine had a 71 Cuda with them back in the day....so I think they were available. :thinking:

Also in my first post where I used the word "cuda" that was me just being lazy....I meant overall, front bumper guards are a rare option on all 70-71 Plymouth E Bodies when compared to 70-71 Dodge E Bodies... :yes: