Main Menu

New Vinyl Top DIY HELP needed

Started by 72and86, September 13, 2022, 09:07:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

1970 Cuda Vinyl top install we're trying our hand at. All prep done and coming out great till we hit snag, the Lower trunk extension area. We've got the sail panels done (or C pillars, I guess) but laying out the final swatch that goes below the rear window has us worried. We have a big bunch of vinyl material that will bunch up and we're concerned its too big to flatten out. See pics.
Has anyone had this? How is this addressed w/o cutting the vinyl down the seam?
Thanks
Steve

57Fury440

I helped my friend put a vinyl top on his 70 Cuda about 15 years ago. The top had the centerline marked and we did one side at a time working from the center out. If you did the sides first, then that might be the problem. The part below the rear window should go down when the top of the roof is put down and you work outwards on both sides.

anlauto

At this point, you're likely going to have to cut it and re-seam it on both sides :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

72and86

Update: We ended up pulled the 2 sail panel sides up and off and THEN putting down the back. Then reattached the sail panel sides last. Worked perfect.

72and86

Update: We ended up pulled the 2 sail panel sides up and off and THEN putting down the back. Then reattached the sail panel sides last. Worked perfect.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 72and86 on September 15, 2022, 08:49:02 AM

:cheers: Glad that it worked out for you and thanks for reporting back on the fix.  I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever decide to put the vinyl top back on my Cuda.

anlauto

That's awesome that the glue hadn't set-up yet and you were able to do that without damaging the vinyl ...dodged a billet there  :twothumbsup: Glad it worked out for you ! :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rdchallenger

I did my own vinyl top as well since the only place that did it within an hour of me closed about 3 years ago due to retirement, I get compliments on it all the time but I will never do another. I contribute it to beginners luck and a lot of cursing.

Great job!

Mr Lee

Glad you got it worked out and laid flat.

For what it's worth to anyone else who may read this.... The guy that installed my top had the same issue... a big bulge in the back below the glass.  He simply cut it on one side, at one of the existing seams, removed the excess material, folded it over and glued it, to mimic the original seam.  Can't even tell it was done.  He said that happens sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.