Main Menu

Order of disassembly

Started by Filthy Filbert, September 01, 2021, 08:15:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Filthy Filbert

Let the games begin!!

Got the car emptied out, work space cleared around it, and have begun to finish disassembly.   I started with the rear, did the trunk floor and quarter panel.  Decided this time that I'm going to start at the firewall and work my way back instead.   

Anyway...Looking at the fenders....I wanted to take them off first, then the doors.   And later, I planned on putting on the doors first, adjusting the gap to the rear quarter panel, then putting on the fenders to adjust the gap to the front.   However, it looks like there's some bolts just forward of the door hinge, and can only access them after the doors are off.   

Is that really the way to go? 

71vert340

The only bracket that I can remember that bolts forward of the upper hinge is the angle bracket that secures the rear top of the fender to the side of the cowl. I've accessed this by removeing the plastic mud guard at the rear of the fender that attaches to the cowl inside the fender well. I don't remember anything forward of the lower hinge.
Terry W.

Filthy Filbert

Thanks.   I thought that was all metal.  It's so covered in tar, undercoating, dirt, etc that it looked like one solid piece.   

I'll take a look at that tonight and try going in through the wheel well

tparker

I don't think there is any particular order to tear things apart. At least I didn't notice any. Taking the fenders off first will make it easier to take of the doors as there will be more room. But you can remove doors easy enough without taking off the fenders.

Re assembly might be a different manner. Getting all the gaps to line up will take some planning. I have seen a few comments before that suggested an order but I don't know. To me its trail and error. Get it close, then re adjust.