Main Menu

Outside Remote Control Mirror Cable Guide Bracket Dimensions/Photos

Started by 7E-Bodies, March 27, 2022, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok all. As promised. I've seen this come up a time or ten, so I thought I'd dust off some very rusty and old drafting skills onto a roughly 1:1 scale XYZ layout of this seemingly elusive part. Mine was still bolted neatly inside the front of the driver's door so I figured I'd share. Three hours later, here we go. I used a 6" dial caliper to obtain measurements of this 0.060" material (16 ga). The bolt appears phosphate finished and is 5/16-18 x 0.875". I don't see these being tough to make.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

For the 0.800" hole, a stepper bit (for throwaway prices at Harbor Freight) or for a keeper tool, the same is sold by Greenlee (pictured). Also, one can use a knockout punch commonly found in electric supply places, but it'd oversize the 0.800" out a little bigger. Keep in mind that once this thing is made and installed, no one will see it and close is good.

***Side note: Use extreme caution when using one of these stepper bits. They will slice and dice your hand in a microsecond.***

7E-Bodies

I will add an important omission. The tabs in the following photo are 1.75" apart with the welded nut being dead center between them.

Dakota

Thanks so much for putting this together.   I was working on my door panels last year and was really puzzled by the lack of support for the remote cable.   Now I know why it was that way:  no bracket.

Your willingness to take the time to document this part is another example of the awesome support between members on this forum.   Nicely done sir!

7E-Bodies

Many have chipped in to help me on countless occasions after my 30 year hiatus from E Bodies. Whenever I can pay it forward, I gladly do so. Especially when I'm sitting on a mummified 70 RT with 95% of it's original hardware. Glad to help where I can.

headejm

@7E-Bodies Thank you so much! Very helpful. How much will you charge when you start making them?

7E-Bodies

Hard to say without trying one. The two little ears may be a challenge. My design may differ. Reasonable assumption that the factory had a special punch and die to form those. I could see welding 3/16" drill rod in place of those.