Main Menu

Paint fix on the rear quarter panel

Started by GoMangoBoys, August 30, 2023, 10:35:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

So when we painted the car 2 and a half years ago, we sanded thru the clear and messed up the base coat.  When I resprayed the clear.  I thought that I could respray the clear and it would be fine.  What I had instead was a nice silver stripe where we had sanded into the base coat.  It was in a VERY conspicuous spot on the left rear quarter panel.  I decided to go ahead and get someone to fix it for me as I am not knowledgeable on how to blend the clear coat.  I took it to Mike Ross.  They did a great job and I am very happy.  They painted to the ridge above and below the problem area but needed to blend it where the quarter panel meets the roof.  There is NO evidence that there was ever a repair there.  The blend is perfect.  Mike also encouraged me to totally redo the cut and buff on the rest of the car as he felt I could do a lot better.  He told me to just work on a little at a time as I could.  I was never totally happy with what I had done before, so it didn't take much convincing for me to go ahead and do it. Since I was taking it to the windshield shop today, I worked all day yesterday to sand and buff the roof and the dutchman panel so that everything around the front and rear window was done.  It is still not perfect, but it is much better.  Mike and his guys did a great job on the part that he did for me and he encouraged me to do better for myself.  He was also pretty darned fair with me on the price.  I think that the only reason that he offered to help me though was that he knew I would show up with some of my homemade venison trail bologna.  :)

70_440-6Cuda

great story - I always like hearing about great experiences with good vendors
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

JS29

Mike is a good guy,He has helped me out a few times.    :bradsthumb:

FE5CUDA

Purple is a very tough color to blend especially right in the middle of a panel.  I seen the before and after pictures of all the paint correction they did on a purple convertible a few years ago and they had to do a paint match since there wasn't any original paint left.  Just amazing.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/seo/12815/

larry4406

That Mike Ross really seems like a great guy. Glad to see he is still helping folks out.

I miss his posts and knowledge he freely shared.

I missed meeting him at Carlisle couple years back when Ross had his '71 'Cuda hardtop on display.

dodj

Quote from: larry4406 on August 31, 2023, 03:28:28 PM
I missed meeting him at Carlisle couple years back when Ross had his '71 'Cuda hardtop on display.
I was surprised Ross sold that 'cuda so quickly. Must have been made an offer he couldn't refuse. (don't blame a guy for makin' a little coin)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill