Main Menu

Painting Bolts

Started by tparker, September 13, 2018, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

The obvious answer to my question would be to paint on the car. LOL.

How do you paint bolts? I ask cause I painted them off the car and it didn't work so well. The paint was a little too think and chipped too easy. Part of it may have been that not only did I put on too much primer/paint, but I don't think I gave the primer much to stick too. Maybe more sanding with 80 grit or something.

However, The original painted bolts could be wrenched on without destroying the paint. After a while they worn down. Anythoughts on painting bolts so the paint is at least somewhat durable? or do I just paint on the car?

Cuda Cody

The type of paint will matter when it comes to how well they hold up when you install them, but the best way is to paint them on the car.  If you use a good epoxy primer and good 2 part paint (and go lightly on the coats) you can get a good paint job on the bolts that will hold up well when installed.

screamindriver

Even the best prepped/painted bolts may need a little help...I use  plastic {from a sandwich bag} over the  bolt so the wrench/socket has a cushion between them...Tight areas call for the baggie to be cut into small squares so you can spin it freely without binding/wrapping the plastic as it spins...Don't laugh it works...

61K T/A

I'm not laughing. That's a great idea.   :bigthumb:  Maybe even consider the blue tape used for painting?

750-h2

I used the Eastwood plastic protective socket inserts. Works good on fender bolts as long as you do not overtighten the bolts.
http://www.2040-parts.com/sae-socket-and-wrench-plastic-insert-kit-4-piece-i1141481/

Cuda Cody

The baggie idea sounds good!  I'm going to try it.

Daveh

I've used a baggie for a long time and works well.  Occasionally you have to do some touch up but that's ok.  Good luck.

Daveh

FYI - 750-h2 those plastic sockets from Eastwood have been discontinued. 

dave73

I've had pretty good luck by wrapping the bolt heads with plumbers teflon tape, using a socket then removing the teflon. It doesn't get sticky like blue painters tape or duct tape would. I also usually have a small brush and touch up and chips that might occur once tightened.

Mopar5

Tape and plastic helps but you will chip fastener paint no matter how careful, just minimize it the best you can and get yourself some EZ dabbers they are awesome for touch up.They are cheap and like a micro Q tip paint flows off them perfectly the

6Pack70

I cut the fingers off of cheap latex gloves and slip them over the socket I'm using to tighten painted bolts.   Cody is 100 % correct on using catylized paint on bolts being painted off the car. Results will be much more durable than rattle can paint.   I saved a small amount  of my PPG single stage Concept just for touch ups.  Only takes a minute to thin and catylize a small amount and shoot the bolts.  I've even installed my bolts in epoxy primer with a latex glove over the socket, then mixed up a tiny amount of paint and used a dirt cheap Harbor Freight air brush to paint the bolts on the car.  I made perfectly sized cut outs in oil board to use as a mask.  That way I could easily check the color match as I coated the bolts.  Just a couple ideas for ya.   :)

72 Challenger

I love simple solutions to age old problems.

A plastic sandwich bag... that is genius. I have a ton around the shop for when I disassemble anything.
Someday I will have a J0b.

RUNCHARGER

I always put a dab of extra hardener in the paint too. I don't know if it helped or not.
Sheldon