Main Menu

Painting steps.

Started by Yobie, June 16, 2019, 08:24:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Yobie

I'm getting my cuda ready for paint and the engine compartment is stripped and ready. The rest of the body is coming together but the rear quarter panels still need a little bit of work.

Im trying to figure out how best to paint the engine compartment so that I can at least drive it while I'm finishing it up.

I'm going with an aar theme with the black hood and top of fenders, but not sure the correct order on doing this.  Do I paint the car in body color, then tape off and go back and spray the black?

Or can I tape off, spray black directly over primer than tape it off and spray the rest in body color?

Anyone have any close up pics of where the black line is on the top of the fender? Trying to figure out where to tape off.

Thanks, couldnt do it without the help of this forum. Not many mopar guys local here and this is my first restoration.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cuda Cody

Use the same paint for the engine bay (and batch it) that you plan to use for the exterior.

Yobie

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 16, 2019, 01:31:54 PM
Use the same paint for the engine bay (and batch it) that you plan to use for the exterior.

Is the black painted over the basecoat or primer?

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 16, 2019, 01:31:54 PM

Or if you're trying to save some money you can always do a single stage in the trunk, interior, and engine bay...

6Pack70

I did single stage Concept in trunk and engine bay.  Car was painted later in single stage Concept with doors off and all painted at the same time, still using the same gallon.  Tops of fenders were masked off during this paint process.  After about 6 weeks,  one good coat of just plain PPG black basecoat was shot on fender tops, bolt area,  door and quarter tops.  One hour later I shot Cody's  Urethane Organisol formula on all including hood.   Came out really nice without  a heavy edge.   

6Pack70

Couple pics

Yobie

Quote from: 6Pack70 on June 16, 2019, 05:30:01 PM
Couple pics
Awesome thanks! Looks good!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk