Main Menu

Planning to purchase torque boxes

Started by nicka, May 25, 2021, 12:24:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

I'm currently working on a '71 Barracuda and planning to purchase torque boxes for the car.  I noticed that Us Car Tool sells  1/8" thick torque boxes.  Read some reviews about cutting and grinding to fit.  There are also OEM Looking torque boxes from several vendors and hybrid ones from some speed shops.  I'm adding period correct upgrades to the car, so I'm not concerned about "points".  It will be used as a driver.  Upgrading the engine but no drag racing or autocross in its future.  Any recommendations?

Also, the outer rockers are off the car.  Has anyone welded a steel bar inside the rocker panels between the front crossmember to the leaf perch area?  Would this be like adding frame connectors, except not exposed?

Any thoughts?

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I would weld the reinforcement into the rockers. I'd probably fab up my own torque boxes if I wasn't trying to make it look stock. Although if you hid the bars in the rockers and bought the repro stock looking torque boxes it would look original under there which to me is a good thing.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I would check with Roseville on the TQ boxes , they will know what will fit best . can hurt to put a bar hidden inside the rocker while you have ti open .

anlauto

I recently installed PG Classics torque boxes which look fairly stock....the fronts required trimming a little, but it wasn't too hard to figure out... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wes473

Quote from: nicka on May 25, 2021, 12:24:43 PM
I'm currently working on a '71 Barracuda and planning to purchase torque boxes for the car.  I noticed that Us Car Tool sells  1/8" thick torque boxes.  Read some reviews about cutting and grinding to fit.  There are also OEM Looking torque boxes from several vendors and hybrid ones from some speed shops.  I'm adding period correct upgrades to the car, so I'm not concerned about "points".  It will be used as a driver.  Upgrading the engine but no drag racing or autocross in its future.  Any recommendations?

Also, the outer rockers are off the car.  Has anyone welded a steel bar inside the rocker panels between the front crossmember to the leaf perch area?  Would this be like adding frame connectors, except not exposed?

Any thoughts?

Ha I was having the same thoughts! Hidden rocker frame reinforcers... roll cage grade round tube fabed to fit in there. Anybody done this?