Main Menu

plum crazy paint problem

Started by chargerdon, October 21, 2024, 01:30:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

My 74 Challenger in Plum Crazy (FC7) took a parking lot hit while sitting at a car show.   Its been in the repair shop now for over two months and they have finished the body repair but are having severe difficulty in matching the paint.   

The car was originally painted about 5 years ago and the painter used Sherwin Williams paint, and it is a gorgeous Plum Crazy. 

The repair shop did a great job straightening out the drivers front fender and header panel and put on a new valance.   Problem is it just isn't even close to matching the rest of the car.  When standing in front of the car the repainted front fender appears to be at least two shades darker/bluer than the hood next to it !!   Originally they said color match wouldnt be an issue as they have a spectrometer gun to give an exact formula.  Problem is their guns data base doesnt go back that old so they did NOT get a formula for it.   I told them the paint is Sherwin Willions FC7 and they went by that.   The paint they use is some brand i never heard of but supposedly made by Dupont.  They brought in "paint representatives to get the formula right" but it simply isnt even close.   

The funny part about it is that standing in front of the car with it parked in strong noon sunlight it appears to be at least two shades too dark and blue.  However stand on the drivers side and look across the top of the fender and it DOES appear to match.   I.E. one direction looks way to dark, but the other looking across looks like it matches.   

So, the questions i have are two fold:
1)  What cause it to look different from the front as opposed to looking across?   Is it that the formula is wrong or have they sprayed it wrong...too much air pressure or not enough..  I know that metallic paint has to be sprayed just right or the metallic could be laying down ?? 

2) Does anyone have the exact formula for the original FC7.   Im not worried about it being an exact match as the original factory as i am giving the green light to paint the entire car (at a higher price) as it had picked up a few light scratches and chips...but i want it to be Plum Crazy not some other color and certainly not looking different depending on how you look at it.   

Help please !!      The shop says they will show me the spray out card before painting.   

Marty

It sounds like they used a paint product call NASON. It was a budget paint system sold under Dupont Chroma Base now Axalta Cromax. Unfortunately, Nason is not an OEM paint system on its own. In that case it's very difficult to match/blend it with any other paint systems. The toners are a lower quality than the OEM style toners. They will get a close look to Plum Crazy using less toners rather than getting an OEM match using added quality toners.

Nason = 4 toners vs. Diamont = 7 toners to get the same color.

Using less toners gets the price low. I bought a gallon of Diamont Sublime a while back that went for $1200 a gallon. The budget price was $350 a gallon.

Budget paints are good paints if applied properly and they can look fantastic. They're used mostly for overall paint jobs rather than collision work unless you use the same system to blend the repair.

They cannot be tinted to match/blend either.

I would find a Nason supplier and have a half pint mixed up. Then have the shop make a spray out card and see if it matches. Oreilly's I believe sells NASON.

Mr Cuda

I feel for you. Color match is always a pain.
I have an old product line Glasurit mixing bank, and the old car formulas are on microfiche.
 I mixed up fc7 and it was a dead match to the inside of a door.
 The new toners and metallics are just different. PPG doesn't even have metallic in the sublime formula. How is that ever going to match or even look right.
 How do you ship paint?

torredcuda

I agree with Marty if they used Nason it is a cheaper line of paint system NOT top quality. Also different manufacturers can use different toners to get the same color and may be close but never a perfect match .I had a metallic blue Jeep years ago I painted 4-5 times and had the same problem - straight on looked good but angular view it didn`t match. Did they blend it out into adjacent panels? I would make them repaint it using Sherwin Williams paint, have them do a spray out first to see if they can better match.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/