Main Menu

Plum Crazy - Then and Now

Started by 303 Mopar, October 05, 2017, 10:11:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I kept a piece of my dutchman off my HemiCuda for many years in case I needed it again (paint was perfect where it was hidden by the trunk lid). I ended up giving it to a friend a few years ago. I agree that back in the day most plum crazy cars didn't look all that great. It didn't take long in the sun for the paint to fade and a lot of them peeled within the first year leaving grey primer patches.
Sheldon

anlauto

I don't think you'll ever get it exactly right with today's paints and the fact that nobody really knows what is exactly right only adds to the problem.
The last FC7 car I did trying to match the original colour, looked excellent.....had several locals view the car and everybody agreed the colour looked  really good  :dunno: Once the owner got it home and parked it next to his other FC7 cars, he says it's too light ? My first question to ask would be maybe his other car are too dark ?  Who really knows ? I think it would be hard to get two cars exactly the same unless they're painted at the same time with the same mix of paint...even how the paint is mixed, of different brand name paint will results in slight different shades :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yup: And forty five years later memories are hazy,
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I will agree that most people that see the correct original FC7 think it's too light.  We have gotten conditioned to a brighter and darker FC7 over the years and it looks "better" to most people than the original shade.  I can get gnat a$$ close to the original, but I prefer to error on the darker side so it looks good to people too.  In the end, it's your car so do whatever makes you happy!    :D

Quote from: anlauto on October 19, 2017, 06:00:25 PM
Once the owner got it home and parked it next to his other FC7 cars, he says it's too light ? My first question to ask would be maybe his other car are too dark ?  Who really knows ? I think it would be hard to get two cars exactly the same unless they're painted at the same time with the same mix of paint...even how the paint is mixed, of different brand name paint will results in slight different shades :alan2cents:

Dakota

I think mine ended up towards the darker shade of the samples Cody showed, but hard to tell when the car is by itself.   This picture was taken before I took the car apart (yes, I'm pretty much doing everything in reverse of the logical order, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances).   There isn't another FC7 anything in this area that I've seen.

torredcuda

Quote from: Archialfa on October 19, 2017, 02:56:15 PM
I agree. The only problem is that in Central Europe finding a true-colored plum crazy Mopar is like trying to find a snowball in hell. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to find someone that can send you a sample piece
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

quapman

DSCN1639 by Steve Moore, on Flickr

This car was painted with Omni plus base, the majority of the car was done with SPI clear. I painted the hood with a completely different batch of paint mixed in a different store in a different state. Mine has Omni Plus base and Acme clear.

Chryco Psycho

The original FC7 behind the brake support plate on the firewall was quite dark & the custom mix we sprayed out to test was an exact match most I have seen are lighter then mine

RUNCHARGER

I don't think monitors will show it just right but this was Centari (single stage for you younguns) and it was a dead on match for the paint I found on the dutchman.
Man that is a colour that is hard to lay down in single stage I'll tell you.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

70 Hemi Challenger, picture taken in 1970....  Now you decide how much the color of the photo has changed in 47 years..... Then figure out how much your monitor alters the color... :rofl:   What you can tell is that even in 1970 the paint gloss was already dieing out...

Chryco Psycho

FC7 was the worst color , the paint fell off the cars unless they were put indoors & virtually every car was repainted or painted a different color very shortly , when mine was 6 years old it had already been painted white which held up just fine into 2009 when I finally got around to restoring it .

1 Wild R/T

My family was overseas from 69-73, when we returned a neighbor in 73 had a Plum Crazy Barracuda.... It was more white then purple because the paint had died so badly...

RusTy/SE

The shop which had my Challenger had suggested PPG Dark Plum Pearlcoat as an option to the original Plum Crazy; this was 2009-2010. 

I asked for a quick spray out on a junk door.  Here it is as another look at what (PPG 2210 in this instance) might look like.

I also added a pic of my FC7 car in sunlight with some of the vinyl top removed :bigthumb:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Archialfa

I found my target color: Prowler purple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plum Crazy 1970 Challenger 440 Magnum