Main Menu

Plum Crazy Paint

Started by GoMangoBoys, May 14, 2020, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We are very close to being ready to shoot some paint.   Though our user name here is GoMangoBoys, we are changing the car to Plum Crazy.  Should my local paint shop be able to mix me the right thing if I go in and tell them I want Plum Crazy?  I understand that the cars were originally single stage, but is it a total sin to go base coat clear coat?  Typically, I use Nason Paint as that is what they sell at the shops I deal with the most.  I don't know if they sell PPG?

@Chryco Psycho   in a previous post, you mentioned having a mix for Plum Crazy that was dead on.  Please elaborate.

Chryco Psycho

I will have to dig for it , when I tore my car down we matched a paint sample to the area behind the brake booster that had never seen the light of day , it was a custom mix , it was virtually perfect match , not to light or with too much metallic , I know it has been posted both here & On the old CC site , I will search for it , I know some other members have found the formula for the mix I used in the past also .
Mine was PPG , we had numerous paint shops mix from the FC7 code nothing was close to a match to my car .
I also painted mine with base clear .

Chryco Psycho

OK here is the formula for the Plum Crazy PPG mix , I compared it to my original paint today & it is just a shade dark using DBC Deltron 2000 basecoat
this is the codes & amounts to mix 1 gallon
Code    Amount
624   -  1542.4
1687  -  2000.0
614   -  2224.0
1686  -  2336.0
622   -  2448.0
685   -  2521.6
1689  -  top off the gallon can

PLUM72

See if you can get guys at Graveyard Carz to sell you one of their spray out cards.  You can match to that.  They seem to put alot of effort into getting the color shades just right.

When you go to a car show it seems there are dozens of shades of Plum Crazy.  They all look good on the cars and no one knows what is correct.  It will look great no matter what you choose.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

JS29

Nasons is not a bad product. have them mix a small batch, do a spray out card and check it out. That is a cheaper line of Du-Pont, witch was sold and is now Exalta. Some of the old colors are not offered in the hi quality line, like EF8. PPG, the formula is only available in there cheaper line. and Exalta not in Chroma-base. I was told the reason is the old colors had no pearl in them.  :dunno:

anlauto

Just go with Chrysler's new version of PCP....it's a lot nicer, your paint shop will have no issues mixing it, and it will look so nice, no one will even care :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

The modern version has a good amount of Pearle in it!  :alan2cents:

Marty

Nason is a good budget paint for over all's but it's not an exact OEM. An OEM mixed paint will have more toners added to get an exact OEM color where as a budget paint will get it close by using less toners. If you damaged your car that was painted with Nason it would be very difficult to blend the repair with an OEM mixed paint. If your store only sells Nason and Axalta, go with Axalta, formerly Dupont.

Even better find a shop that sells PPG and use the formula above since it's proven to be and exact match.