Main Menu

Precision Body Measurements...Am I Too OCD?

Started by 7E-Bodies, June 27, 2020, 02:05:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Before I permanently weld on my screwed down, pre fitted AMD panels on this 70 Challenger, I've done some precision measuring (old pro fabricator here). The car is on a jig, setting dead on level. I've gone around the car with a plum bob and traced out hard lines on a very good concrete floor. The lines I'm going by are the factory original outer rocker edges, a line formed using the two front frame rails, and a line using the factory steel brace across the rear frame rails. Frame is original, no rot, zero. No signs of any considerable impacts anywhere. Imagine now, a rectangle traced on the floor with all four planes mentioned. The driver's side is coming out 1/4" longer than the passenger side. Is anyone aware of drifting factory tolerances on these cars? Am I driving myself nuts and delaying the project over what seems to be factory variations? I really what to get this cars ass welded on so I can get to making visible progress on paint prep, yet I don't want to create issues for later in the build. Been there? Please chime in.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Rich G.

I'd say if it's sitting level and all your gaps look good go for it. I'm sure it didn't measure up from the factory. And no one will be taking a ruler to it.

JS29

You don't see a unibody dog track. There for you can't get a diamond in a unibody. how are your gaps on the panel's? Yes there was a lot of tolerance in the old cars, I have heard of quarter inch difference's on the assembly line. cross measure the bolt holes from under your hood, and look for any buckling on the floor pans. If the axles are still in place, measure center to center with the front wheels straight.   

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Panel gaps are better than any of my other 8 e bodies were and several were factory and unmolested.

RUNCHARGER

I think you're good. I worked at a shop where they were doing an alignment on a really nice looking 70 Charger. The wheelbase was 1 inch different side to side. You 1/4" is probably within factory tolerances.
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

One inch. That's reassuring, Sheldon. Thanks.

RUNCHARGER

We figured it was accident damage however it shows your 1/4" is reasonable.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Years ago I struggled to get the windows adjusted on a 70 Roadrunner for a customer... Drivers side was easy.. Passenger side didn't matter how I tweaked I couldn't even get close, the glass was to big.....  Then I started measuring.. The passenger side was 1.25" shorter, it had been put back together completely out of square... Still a pretty car but seriously jacked...

Your 1/4" isn't gonna hurt a thing...