Main Menu

Quarter Panel to Trunk extension fitment

Started by nicka, May 05, 2020, 07:50:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Checking the fitment with the quarter panel to trunk extension on a 71 Barracuda.  I noticed a gap between the two.  I decided to remove both panels and lay them down on a table.  I clamped down the bottom portion of both panels.  They lay down nice and flat.  When I check the top side of the trunk extension, I see a gap between it and the quarter. I wouldn't think there would be a gap? 

RUNCHARGER

No, that's correct. The lower quarters didn't have a chance. They got beat up from rocks off the rear tires on the outside and stuff and water would collect in there on the inside.
Sheldon

nicka

I just pulled the passenger side and laid it out on a table to give another view of the gap.

nicka

And check out the angle between the top trunk extension and where the side markers go.

B5fourspeed

Check your clearance for the side marker light socket.The ears of the socket sometimes will not clear the trunk extension.

anlauto

Quote from: B5fourspeed on May 05, 2020, 09:06:03 AM
Check your clearance for the side marker light socket.The ears of the socket sometimes will not clear the trunk extension.

This is solid advice. :iagree:

The gap you're asking about is normal  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

oldmoparbuff

I have a similar gap on my 73 on both sides.
Drivers side is still original quarter.

71vert340

On a couple of ebodies I've bought, I've found tools down in that gap such as sockets and small screwdrivers as well as trash. It's a catch-all place for small items left loose in the trunk.
Terry

JS29

Rich G.

The gap is there so when you put the side marker light in and drop the nut and wrench down there you have something to do for the next few days trying to fish it out! I know!😭

usraptor

Quote from: B5fourspeed on May 05, 2020, 09:06:03 AM

:iagree: My body man didn't do that and now I can't put in the running light on the passenger side.   :headbang: :pullinghair:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Best one I found was the outline of a milkbone rusted through the lower quarter. I guess the doggy snack slid down there and collected water.
Sheldon

JS29

What an odd place for a dog to Barry a bone!!!!   :haha: :rofl: 

nicka

Thanks all for the replies. I'm gonna check clearance for the side marker before welding.  I need to make sure I don't leave anything in the trunk.