Main Menu

Really basic paint questions

Started by Katfish, July 07, 2018, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

I'm starting at ground zero knowledge and have some very basic questions.
Project is to paint a new AMD trunk lid.
Plan is to use a cheap HF electric sprayer.  I don't have a compressor.
Car is a 20 footer, so perfection or even really nice is not necessary.

What type of paint is the easiest to spray with no experience?
What's the actual process for painting, 1 coat and done?
Or does it take multiple coats?

Don't hestitate to give me the most basic info, I can use all the help I can gather.

Thx

JS29

Ok AMD does use A good primer on there parts. I would start with 320 sandpaper, scuff it till it's dull looking but try not to remove it. if you do have some bare metal use self etching primer. SEM has A good etch primer is spray cans. you should use primer-sealer then paint. now what is on the car now, base-clear or single stage? once that has been determined, single stage I would use acrylic enamel. Base-clear is urethane. usually two coats of sealer followed by what ever it takes to give complete color coverage in base and two coats of clear. Single stage is two coats sealer two coats of paint. metallic is A little more tricky with single stage.  good luck!  :wrenching:     

1 Wild R/T

The problem with trying to use any spray equipment designed for house paints is house paint has a viscosity similar to heavy cream, automotive paint is barely thicker than water.....  The spray tips on house equipment don't atomize the paint so much as spray droplets.....   

You'd be better off looking at buying Preval sprayers, they spray automotive paint pretty well.... If you look around at reviews you'll see some very negative comments but if you read them people are trying to spray house paint.... It doesn't work for the same reason you can't spray automotive paint with house equipment.... 

I'd pre-fill 3-4 prevail sprayers so once you start spraying your not fumbling with trying to fill a second sprayer.....

https://www.amazon.com/Preval-267-Spray-Gun-6-PACK/dp/B00TOY65UC/ref=pd_sbs_60_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TOY65UC&pd_rd_r=8b46e840-8204-11e8-88c9-b521805f7331&pd_rd_w=mFRzk&pd_rd_wg=7a87I&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5825442648805390339&pf_rd_r=ZMB8QC0XADQZ19AZ2VMH&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=ZMB8QC0XADQZ19AZ2VMH

RzeroB

The thing with automotive paint is ... it's real easy to mess it up and make it look like dog poo!

Painting and matching the deck lid to the rest of the car on the cheap ... well it can be done but it isn't going to be a spot on match. But since it's a "20 footer" you have a couple of options ...

1. Have a low cost shop like MAACO or Earl Scheib (or equivalent in your area) do it for you.

2. Have a friend who does this stuff on the side do it for you.

3. Find your color in a spray can and do it yourself. Prep, spray, color sand, buff, good enough. There are a couple of paint suppliers that will actually put your Mopar color into a spray can for you.  :bigthumb:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  your local auto paint store should be able to put two part automotive paint in a rattle can.

Katfish

Ok, taking a step back, do I need to etch prime it first?
I was under the impression I could scuff the AMD lid as it came and paint.

GoodysGotaCuda

I would not shoot any automotive paint with an electric sprayer. I tried a HF electric for a kids playset and it didn't last a single minute. I need to return it.

Anyway, learning how to shoot "real" paint is an excellent skill, but i'm not sure i'd start on an a-surface panel with improper equipment. What type of paint is it? The odds are very high that the new trunklid color will not be a perfect match and will stick out regardless of spray quality. Most jobs like that need to have new paint blended or feathered into adjacent panels.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ec_co

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 07, 2018, 09:48:02 AM
The problem with trying to use any spray equipment designed for house paints is house paint has a viscosity similar to heavy cream, automotive paint is barely thicker than water.....  The spray tips on house equipment don't atomize the paint so much as spray droplets.....   

if this https://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html is what they are talking about buying, it's actually a decent HVLP setup for someone wanting to spray on a budget without the need for all the compressor equipment. plenty of visual reviews to look at and see what it's capable of https://www.google.com/search?q=harbor+freight+hvlp+turbine&client=firefox-b-1-ab&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx_8zq147cAhXB5oMKHSj5CFUQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=943
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Katfish

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Katfish on July 08, 2018, 04:26:56 AM
I'm looking at this, trying to keep the budget down.

https://m.harborfreight.com/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-60446.html

Mine didn't last one second shooting properly thinned latex and I hardly cared what it looked like [outdoor kids playset]. I wouldn't waste my time with one.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ec_co

Quote from: Katfish on July 08, 2018, 04:26:56 AM
I'm looking at this, trying to keep the budget down.

https://m.harborfreight.com/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-60446.html

I haven't seen or heard anything good about those for automotive paint. check the one I posted, it actually works great for auto paint and the price is still reasonable enough
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

BIGSHCLUNK

I am definitely no body man by any means. I would think getting a few rattle cans made in "your color" would be the easiest way to to. This would be single stage paint. Unless your really bad at it , it s sort of forgiving and ruff area's could be worked over. Wet sand use like 2000 grit or maybe 1500 first if it really needs help. "wet" is the key....   :notsure:  I've done minor touch up's over the years this way and it's worked well     

JS29

Etch primer is for bare metal, you can paint over scuffed EDP primer (the black primer). I do now ever have better results using A sealer before paint. IF you have or can borrow A small compressor you can buy A cheepo harbor fright gravity feed gun and do it.

340challconvert

In a pinch, the spray cans w factory paint work decently on small panels
I ordered cans of Y1 from Totally Auto and redid my engine compartment and inner fenders.
Dave Ferro stopped selling the paint recently.

I found this company that sells the paint for $20 per can
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_matched.aspx

I used epoxy primer on bare metal, then High build primer, sanded and re-primed, then topped with epoxy again (all Eastwood products) before base coating with Y1.

This is the result with about 4 coats
Just my thoughts, I have no compressor to work with.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

dave73

I was in your boat last year, here is what I did. Maybe a little different because I painted my whole car but same idea.

-Bought a decent LVLP spray gun and borrowed a 33 gallon air compressor from a buddy.
-Used primer sealer and single stage paint. Used the same company brand to help ensure they were compatible. Followed directions on can on how to thin. Strained through cheese cloth into gun.
-Scuffed up the panels, cleaned with degreaser, wiped down with tack cloth
-Blew out garage a few days prior to painting, wet down floor.
-Shot 2 coats of primer sealer, 3 coats of color.

Decent paint job given some stupid mistakes I made but was cheap and will get me by for a few years.