Main Menu

Rear bumper filler

Started by Matt13, July 26, 2022, 02:52:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

Who makes a repop? Can't find one for my 73 on Roseville, Classic Ind., or Year 1.

blown motor

Check with Laysons. They have some of that stuff.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Matt13

Quote from: blown motor on July 26, 2022, 03:39:03 PM
Check with Laysons. They have some of that stuff.
@blown motor they have a 70-74 Challenger filler, not sure if it's the same for Cuda.

blown motor

I didn't know from your post if you had a Cuda or a Challenger.

Burdar

No repops that I'm aware of.  The truth is that 72-74 cars aren't nearly as popular/desirable as the 70-71s are.  Most people find the 73-74 bumper fillers ugly and remove them.  There aren't many people actually looking to put them back on.  If you are building the car back to OE specs then you'll have to find a nice set of originals.  If you aren't concerned with being factory correct, I'd just keep the fillers off and move the bumpers in closer to the body like the 70-72s.  :alan2cents:

Matt13

Quote from: Burdar on July 27, 2022, 07:45:16 AM
No repops that I'm aware of.  The truth is that 72-74 cars aren't nearly as popular/desirable as the 70-71s are.  Most people find the 73-74 bumper fillers ugly and remove them.  There aren't many people actually looking to put them back on.  If you are building the car back to OE specs then you'll have to find a nice set of originals.  If you aren't concerned with being factory correct, I'd just keep the fillers off and move the bumpers in closer to the body like the 70-72s.  :alan2cents:
@Burdar , how do I get the bumper closer? The attaching brackets are thick. Do I need to by 70-72 brackets?

318Stroker

I moved both bumpers in on my 73 Challenger. Best mod that I made to the car!
On the front, you can re-drill the frame mounting holes on the bracket to move it back farther, or get the shorter 70-72 brackets. You'll also want to get the rubber wedge pieces that slip in to the outboard corners of the bumper, like the 70-72.
  On the rear, the easiest thing to do is get 70-72 brackets. Otherwise you will have to cut and weld on your brackets to shorten them. I also got the thin 70-72 sheet metal filler piece that attaches to the rear bodywork. Fills the space between the body and the bumper. You will also need the two small 70-72 bumperettes that hang down and fill the holes in the valance. You will need to remove the "V" license plate bracket on your valance so that the plate bolts directly to the valance, using the common square white plastic nuts. Holes should already be in the valance for them. License plates screws go right into them. Otherwise your plate will stick out to far and the plate light won't illuminate it.
  Word of caution, I'm pretty sure that the mounting holes in the bumper, for the brackets, have different positioning, between the 70-72 vs the 73-74. so if you use 70-72 brackets front or rear, you may need 70-72 bumpers.

Mrbill426

@318Stroker ok I have to ask... what sheet metal filler piece for the rear?   My '72 does not have that and I want to lower my rear bumper a tad bit but was going to "black out" the rear cross member that would otherwise then show through with (white) body color.  I don't recall my body manual showing that piece.
Thanks!

Quote from: 318Stroker on July 28, 2022, 06:18:36 AM
  **SNIP**
  On the rear, the easiest thing to do is get 70-72 brackets. Otherwise you will have to cut and weld on your brackets to shorten them. I also got the thin 70-72 sheet metal filler piece that attaches to the rear bodywork. Fills the space between the body and the bumper. You will also need the two small 70-72 bumperettes that hang down and fill the holes in the valance. You will need to remove the "V" license plate bracket on your valance so that the plate bolts directly to the valance, using the common square white plastic nuts. Holes should already be in the valance for them. License plates screws go right into them. Otherwise your plate will stick out to far and the plate light won't illuminate it.
  Word of caution, I'm pretty sure that the mounting holes in the bumper, for the brackets, have different positioning, between the 70-72 vs the 73-74. so if you use 70-72 brackets front or rear, you may need 70-72 bumpers.

318Stroker

Quote from: Mrbill426 on July 28, 2022, 07:55:02 AM
@318Stroker ok I have to ask... what sheet metal filler piece for the rear?   My '72 does not have that and I want to lower my rear bumper a tad bit but was going to "black out" the rear cross member that would otherwise then show through with (white) body color.  I don't recall my body manual showing that piece.
Thanks!

Quote from: 318Stroker on July 28, 2022, 06:18:36 AM
  **SNIP**

I can tell you what I think I know...lol. Others on here can probably give you better info. Pretty sure 70's had it, not sure on 71, 72. Thin metal strip with lengthwise sideways curvature to it. Attaches under the taillight panel, and covers the small gap between bumper and body. Curves from the body to  underneath the inner upper lip of the bumper. Don't think it's being re-popped. To attach it I used sheet metal screws on the inner lip of the filler piece and screwed right into the body of the car. Since the screws are on the inner lip of the piece, they don't show from the exterior of the car.

blown motor

Instead of getting the 70-72 bumperettes you could weld the opening for them closed and go with no bumperettes. I did that on my 74 when I replaced bumpers. I've seen it on other cars too. It looks very natural.