Main Menu

Rear bumper filler to tailpanel screw size and type?

Started by Dmod1974, March 01, 2020, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I'm getting ready to fit and drill holes for the bumper filler on my car, and cannot for the life of me find any info about the size and type of screws that are used for this!  Nobody seems to sell them as a kit either, so any info that will help me drill the right size holes and source them from a hardware store would be helpful!

headejm

As you can see, pretty unique screw. I counted 9 screws total but I believe the filler panel is bonded first then screwed into place. Hopefully someone else chimes in on the bonded part since I didn't have to remove my filler panel during restoration. I've also added the best photos I had to show screw placement.  :cheers:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

What year car ? Are we talking the metal filler used in 1970 or the rubber ones of 73-74 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Sorry for the confusion. Assumed we were talking about 1970 metal filler piece. My pictures above are for a 1970 Challenger.  :cheers:

Dmod1974

Yup, I think we're all talking about the same thing; the metal bumper filler that goes across the back of the tail panel to fill in the gap between the bumper and tail panel on 1970 cars.  Mine's not a 1970, but it does have a 1970 tail panel and bumper set

anlauto

I would drill 1/8" holes and use #8 screws. :alan2cents:

I've seen both types of screws used, with a spin washer or without like headejm posted :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

That's exactly the info I needed!  Thank you!!!  :twothumbsup: