Main Menu

Removing the K frame

Started by dodj, September 29, 2019, 05:41:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Is there anything I should know b4 I do it? Like do you spray WD40 into the frame rails for a month beforehand? Do you need to support anything with it removed?
Do you usually need heat to remove the bolts?   :dunno:
I plan on replacing the original with the QA1 piece
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

I couldn't get any penetrating oil on mine. I remember pushing the air pressure up to about 100 psi and cycling the impact gun a bunch of times between tighten and loosen until they broke free. 

7E-Bodies

Aerosol "Kroil". I have several cans. I have yet to see it fail. I spray it on a couple days prior.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70 Challenger Lover

On one of my cars, there was so much rust, it wouldn't budge. I used penetrating oil and a very long breaker bar. Loosened about a quarter turn, more oil, then tighten. More oil then loosen 1/2 turn followed by more oil and tighten. It took forever but I saved the threads on all of them. If you force it too much, the rust flakes will wedge in the threads making it jam and eventually you bust the bolt. By tightening often, you give the crud a chance to fall away inside and it helps work oil up into the threads. Impact may be fine but that kind of brute force makes me nervous on something so crucial and so difficult to repair.

In all likelihood, it won't be that bad at all. I've removed many of them and only encountered that situation once.

BIGSHCLUNK

as a remover of K-frames of all types I totally agree with the loosen / tighten theory.  :yes:

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

Something else to consider, you can drill a small hole on the side of the frame rail so you can use a can of penetrating oil with a straw to soak the bolts,  a small hole can easily be welded up never to be seen again

dodj

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 29, 2019, 06:35:57 PM
Aerosol "Kroil". I have several cans. I have yet to see it fail. I spray it on a couple days prior.
Kroil was recommended to me by a few others as well. I'll  have to look for some and give it a try.
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 29, 2019, 07:49:55 PM
Something else to consider, you can drill a small hole on the side of the frame rail so you can use a can of penetrating oil with a straw to soak the bolts,  a small hole can easily be welded up never to be seen again
I like that idea!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Would anyone recommend against supporting the engine off the inner fenders above the shock towers?

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

supporting the engine that way will be fine , I would just use a wide support to spread the load 4-6 "

Rdchallenger

I used a can of zep45 on mine. Let it set a day or two.