Main Menu

Right hand mirror placement

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, December 16, 2018, 08:52:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Couldn't find anything in a search. Picked up a decent right hand mirror for my driver but not quite sure how far back it belongs on the door. Is it supposed to be equal to the driver side or do they shift it forward a touch more on the passenger side for more visibility?

One other thing....are all these mirrors simply held on with sheet metal screws? If so, ill probably make a couple reinforcement plates with welded nuts for the inside of the door. I couldn't find anything like this for sale but maybe I'm not checking the right places.

Thanks!

1 Wild R/T

Match the other side & use a couple nutserts...

70 Challenger Lover

That would work...looks sturdier than screws into the sheet metal.

1 Wild R/T

70 Challenger Lover

Ok, didn't know that. I haven't had mirrors of my Challengers yet. Just recall seeing other Mopars over the years with bowed out holes where sheet metal screws pulled out. I'll get some!

RUNCHARGER

Sorry I don't have a measurement. This is the original door on this 70 and the mirror is mounted to the original rivnuts. Someone here should have the measurement for you though. Make sure it is a 70.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Final question on this...do these nutserts get installed with a tool kinda like a rivet? I see kits with the handheld install tool but just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything

1 Wild R/T

Tool is nice but you don't  need it for just two inserts.... What you need is a bolt that threads into the insert long enough to thread a nut on, then add a couple washers & finally screw into the insert with the screw getting full engagement of the insert....   Put the insert in the hole, hold the screw & unscrew the nut off the bolt forcing it into the insert...  A little lube between the washers helps...   Seat it down tight & repeat on the second insert...

70 Challenger Lover

Perfect, thanks guys. Looks pretty simple.