Main Menu

Bumper Guards for my 71 Barracuda Convertible

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 22, 2020, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I've been wanting a nice set for my convertible since I picked up the car last year. Not a fan of these on performance cars but I think they look classy on the flat hood cars or convertible cars. Hard to find these. Imagine they weren't very popular back then.

They cleaned up well and the seller included new rubber inserts. I'm going to install them for now but when I'm ready to rechrome some stuff for my project car, I'll send these in too.

Scooter

They look fine from what I can see.. do the really need a re-chrome?

70 Challenger Lover

They really don't and it won't be high on my priority list but the car is really nice so by comparison, the chrome on these isn't quite as good. I can see running them as is for the next year.

anlauto

I agree they are a nice looking option on "flat hood " cars as you put it, but I'm surprised you're adding options to such a nice original car  :dunno: ....

...I see a shaker hood and billboards in your future :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

I know, I know. I hope this isn't a slippery slope! I'll try to keep it in check.

Caparco

72 challenger will work for you?
It's Amazing what we can accomplish~

With just a little bit of hard work.

And a whole LOT of complaining!!... lol

198D13

The cushions will have a seven digit part number cast into then on the inside where the mounting studs are. Could you check and see what they are. There is a big difference between 1970 and 1971 front bumper guards. Those look like 1970 to me. 1970 are much longer than 1971. Just want to be sure you have the right ones.

70 Challenger Lover

@198D13 you have a good eye. They came with the old ones and they were thinner. They were cracked and pretty wasted from the sun. I tossed them and put on these new ones which he included. I assumed they were aftermarket and that was why they were thicker. I was surprised to see the original part numbers on the inside. I guess they are NOS because they were absolutely perfect. You'll have to advise if those numbers confirm 1970 or 1971. Either way, they fit great and look good.

I'm painting the bumper bracket today with Imron paint before installing it. Then I can bolt the bumpers on the underside tab and see where the upper holes need to be drilled in the bumper.

198D13

Those are for a 1970 car. They were one year only. The 1971 guards and cushions were shorter.. I think the longer ones for 1970 were because The front valence is so different from 1970 to 1971. Less room in 1971 for the guards. Here is a picture of my original 1971 car.

198D13