Main Menu

Roof Skin rust under Back Glass

Started by Roberts440, April 08, 2024, 11:39:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Roberts440

I have pulled out the back glass and need to deal with rust issues in the area of the roof skin under the glass. I've attached a couple of photos.  There are several holes ranging in size from pinholes up to 1/4".  In addition to the holes, the roof-skin corner is deeply pitted along its entire length.

I'd rather not replace the whole roof skin.  This car did not have a vinyl roof, and I think the remainder of the roof skin is OK.  I could try to fabricate patches to the bad areas.  I'm not good enough at welding to stitch-weld in patches without some pinholes, which would require some sealing to finish up.  Which make me wonder if I wouldn't just be better off trying a non-metal solution to this, like just applying epoxy over the pitting and holes?

Thanks in advance...
Robert

ebodyproducts

I think you should cut the rust and and put new metal in.  If not, it will just continue to rot.
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

tparker

Replacing might be the best idea. But if  not, maybe cleaning it real  good  to get as much of that  rust off then  I would think some sort of  rust converter. There is some that seals it and some that converts it. Not an  expert  in the different types so  I don't know which is better. Maybe  others  can comment. If they are tiny pine  holes, I wonder if jb weld would work? I would probably just clean it up and do short quick spot welds with  my welder. I suck at welding, but this would  be pretty easy. Then  grind  the  top off, clean up , and paint  to  protect.

soundcontrol

I would say replace the bad parts. I just did it on my wife's 65 Barracuda, under the windshield, I had not done that before, it's not easy, but with a decent crimper/stretcher and a few try's I managed to do a good job. The hardest part was to make the corners fit.

soundcontrol

Btw, is the rear trim attached with the same type of clips as the windshield trim?
My 70 Barracuda leaks in water in the rear and I suspect I have the same issue there, it has a vinyl top also.

Brads70

I had a few holes to patch when I pulled the glass out also. Give it a go, all made by hand nothing special as far as equipment goes. Keep cutting till you get to solid material, then make a patch to fit, then weld it in.

Roberts440

Thanks for all the answers, and for the pictures!  I guess no one is going to suggest just patching it with flex-seal.  I've done some similar work fabbing and welding in patches on the liftgate on a 280Z, but there I was able to back up the welding with a copper bar to suppress the burn-through.  Here I can't do it unless I cut the roof skin way back.  I'll study all the pictures closely before going ahead.  I will have some similar work in the front - even more with the A-pillars.

Soundcontrol - the back molding has similar clips as the front.  In my opinion, I believe that what happens is that dirt works its way under the molding, and if the car is not garaged, the rain will form a permanent mud bath all around the periphery, pitting the metal and rusting it through.

Roberts440

Soundcontrol:  I can't see exactly how your L-shaped repair piece is welded to the A-pillar.  I see the 'flat' part is plug-welded, but did you just abut the vertical part to the vertical part of the A-pillar - welding up the gap (circled in red from your photo)?

Thanks in advance...