Main Menu

Sam Posey Trans Am style front spoiler on a 1970 Challenger

Started by Brads70, December 30, 2016, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Its no secret I love the Sam Posey Challenger race car. So with that one day I decided to have a go at making a front spoiler styled after the famous race car. I bought a set off dimple dies from here ( they are local to me )
http://www.tmrcustoms.ca/tools/dimple-dies/dimple-die-3-piece-starter-set-includes-1-2-1-and-1-1-2-dies.html

I then removed the front valance and started with a piece of fiberboard? Not sure what its called? It has papaer on both sides with foam in the middle. Bought it at a local art supply store? Cheap like 10-20 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. Then I cut out a pattern.

Brads70

Then literally with a jig saw I cut out the aluminum.  I simply used a rubber hammer and a vise to form the braces, drilled the holes and used my newly acquired dimple dies!  Cleco pins also made the job much easier. i layed out the rivet holes and used the cleco pins to hold it all together.

Brads70

The brake ducts are common Allstar brand circle track parts and also sourced the stainless mesh there too. Rivet it all together, drill the holes in the valance and braces to bolt it to the valance .  I then used a scothbrite pad to draw polish it then spray bombed clear over top to try and prevent oxidation. Apply the Dodge decal and all done. Not including the dimple dies I don't think I spend $50 on materials.
It DOES make a distinctive difference in down force at high speeds. I can feel the difference at legal hwy speeds. If you have ever driven one of  these cars above 120 they are down right scary as the front end lifts bad. This definitely helps! .... and I like the racy look.

Cuda Cody

303 Mopar

Spikedog08

Brad's car is a work of art for sure!   Always enjoy checking it out when I see it!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!