Main Menu

Polish and wax question

Started by blown motor, November 30, 2022, 01:31:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Or maybe it's a paint question. I just polished and waxed my 2015 red Challenger. 6-7 hours of work and I'm not really sure if it made much difference. When I polish and wax my black 74 Challenger I can always see a difference in the shine. Why didn't I see that same difference with the 15? Is it just the difference in black and red or are the new paints such that they just don't lose their gloss the same as they used to?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

My bet is it's the modern urathane paint. Or probably more accurate, the clear coat. It's durable and glossy. My Challenger in 1990 was fade and became a flat dull color. But a good wash and and wax with a buffing and she would pop. Not sure if this is true, but it is the theory I go with. You used to have to smooth that wax to get it to shine where as the clear coat just shines naturally.

As a side note, we would spend HOURS shining our boots with Kiwi shoe polish. There was a technique to it to get it like glass and not hazy. But then you could buy Parade boots which had a shiny surface and was always shiny. Those were great so long as you didn't actually scuff them up.

blown motor

I've emptied more than one can of Kiwi shoe polish! Had to have shiny shoes for church on Sunday, or so we were told.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel