Main Menu

Roof rail molding questions

Started by Mrbill426, January 18, 2023, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

1.  Is this drip rail molding safe to polish out on a bench type buffer with compound, or should it only be polished by hand with a good chrome polish?

2.  Those drip rail gaskets came with my DMT paint gasket kit; one type (in the bag) wide foam, and the other type is narrower that is peel and stick. Where exactly does each one go?
     With the peel and stick I imagine I get one shot so I want to place them in the right place.

Thanks!

Rich G.

I buffed mine on bench grinder with buffing wheels . No problem, just pay attention, wear gloves and hold on tight. I forget which foam went where, You can probably tell by looking at it.

anlauto

I put the peel and stick directly on the weather-strip channel backside, after cleaning off the old stuff. The other foam I glue to the car with 3M weather-strip adhesive under the drip rail moldings  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@Rich G. , thanks.

Quote from: Rich G. on January 19, 2023, 03:45:16 AM
I buffed mine on bench grinder with buffing wheels . No problem, just pay attention, wear gloves and hold on tight. I forget which foam went where, You can probably tell by looking at it.

Mrbill426

@anlauto  ,  so foam goes on first; then the shinny molding; then the peel and stick seal, and then weatherstrip retainer goes on last, with the peel and stick sandwiched between them?

Quote from: anlauto on January 19, 2023, 05:34:40 AM
I put the peel and stick directly on the weather-strip channel backside, after cleaning off the old stuff. The other foam I glue to the car with 3M weather-strip adhesive under the drip rail moldings  :alan2cents:

Burdar

My opinion...It doesn't really matter which style you put on where.  As long as you have something there.  My 73 had the dense adhesive backed foam in both locations originally.

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on January 19, 2023, 12:29:58 PM
@anlauto  ,  so foam goes on first; then the shinny molding; then the peel and stick seal, and then weatherstrip retainer goes on last, with the peel and stick sandwiched between them?

I attach the peel and stick to the channel, not to the car :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mrbill426

@anlauto, got it.  And that channel goes on last right?

Are either of those metal pieces used to secure the headliner?

Quote from: anlauto on January 19, 2023, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on January 19, 2023, 12:29:58 PM

I attach the peel and stick to the channel, not to the car :alan2cents:

anlauto

It's much easier to do the headliner first without the weather-strip channels in place. :alan2cents: None of these discussed metal parts have anything to do with holding the headliner in place. However, from the factory, often times you will find the headliner underneath these parts.

usraptor

I also did my moldings on the buffer wheel after I first hand sanded up to 3000 grit and then started polishing.  Came out like new when done. However, like was previously said, wear gloves and hold the molding tight so the buffing wheel doesn't grab it and pull it out of your hands. Slow and steady.  Patience is the key. Here's some pics, also with before and after.