Main Menu

T/A Hood template

Started by erik70rt, October 09, 2019, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

My T/A hood finally arrived.  As I start to prep it, does anyone have a good template for locating the squirters and hood pins?

Thanks!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

shawge

:alan2cents: For the pins, after the hood is aligned w/ the fenders, put the pins in and some paint on top of them. Close the hood gently and make sure the paint transfers.  Drill where the paint is.

I go measure out where the squirter holes are in a bit.

Edit: on my hood, both of the squirter holes are 6" from the windshield edge and 12" over from the fender edges.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

dodj

Where did you get the hood from and are you happy with the build quality?
I am considering buying the AAR Fiberglass T/A hood.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

erik70rt

I got it from Year One from a recommendation from Dave at Roseville.  I have not taken it out of the cardboard yet, but from what I see it looks good.  I wish they would have put the squirters on it.  Oh well. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

IRON MAN

Quote from: dodj on October 10, 2019, 09:51:13 AM
Year one T/A hoods are  remarkable, excellent quality with amazing attention to detail, Here is mine the day it arrived.I

Brads70

Quote from: IRON MAN on October 10, 2019, 02:59:47 PM
Quote from: dodj on October 10, 2019, 09:51:13 AM
Year one T/A hoods are  remarkable, excellent quality with amazing attention to detail, Here is mine the day it arrived.I

Is it molded in black? If so that would be great. Mine came out of Texas ( ebay purchase) and my only complaint is it's molded in white so any stone chip show.Mine came with hood pins holes and squirter holes.
As for the squirters ( they are crazy priced!) I had to make up a cutter that counter bored material away as it was too thick in that area to bolt on the stock squirters.

IRON MAN

It has been over a year now since I received the second T/A hood. The first one arrived with a damaged corner. I remember seeing the fiberglass woving. Do not recall seeing any white gel coat or white fiberglass resin.

Marty

How I install hood pins in a hood after adjustment.

Install the pins. I put some modeling clay on the back of the hood in the area of the hood pin. Close the hood on the pins. Reopen the hood and drill a pilot hole in the center of the indention in the clay. Use a step bit to open the hole till you get the correct hole size that will clear the pin. Use a rat-tail file to adjust the hole as required.

You might want to put some masking tape on the top of the hood above the pin area to prevent the chipping of the gel-coat. Can't help you with the squirters.