Main Menu

Take apart mirror

Started by chal340, March 31, 2017, 06:52:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chal340

A friend to me would like to re-chrome his driver Mirror but how can he do to take apart the glass?
This glass is glued, cliped?
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

blown motor

There are two screws in behind it that hold it in the casing. You can access each one by tilting the glass all the way to the right or left.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chal340

Thank you. I see with him if he can make like this.

chal340

@blown motor .
I phoned to my buddy and he said to me that he can't see these 2 screws by the "pedestal" hole.
It's a 70 mirror, do you have a pic, a schematic of this 2 screws inside to show him how this glass is fixed inside.
Thanks

Quote from: blown motor on March 31, 2017, 07:04:55 AM
There are two screws in behind it that hold it in the casing. You can access each one by tilting the glass all the way to the right or left.

blown motor

I'm assuming you're talking about the driver side view mirror, correct? I saw it on my friend's 72. Maybe 70 is different or maybe his 72 mirror is not a Chrysler mirror.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chal340

Yes, driver side. And yes 70 are smaller than 71-74. Maybe inside is different too.
@Cuda Cody, @anlauto did you already take apart this glass on a 70 driver side mirror?

Quote from: blown motor on April 01, 2017, 12:56:15 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the driver side view mirror, correct? I saw it on my friend's 72. Maybe 70 is different or maybe his 72 mirror is not a Chrysler mirror.

Cuda Cody

I've only worked with painted mirrors so I'm not sure how they come apart?   :sorry:

anlauto

I don't usually take the glass out unless it needs replacing. To take out the mechanism that holds the glass out, the glass needs to be removed first.....good luck :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chal340

Not sure he is going to try to remove this glass. He risks to broke it. :crying:
Thanks guys.

Cudalbs

I ended up having to just break the glass out of mine. Then I removed the mounting mechanism and took it to a glass shop and had new glass cut to fit the holders. After body work and paint I reinstalled the mechanism and lastly I glued in the new mirrors.
"Love those round taillight cars"

cataclysm80

The glass is glued in place.   You can try using a heat gun to soften the glue during removal.  Sometimes the glass comes out in one piece, and sometimes it breaks.  Good Luck! 

Chryco Psycho

Check with rock auto I think i saw mirror glass replacements there but  I cannot  find them right now

chal340

Thanks guys,
He is going to try by heating, or soaking the mirror in a paint thinner, acetone. I read this on CC.com
And if the glass is broken, we can find a glass shop here in France to cut a new.