Main Menu

Hood Bolts

Started by Racer57, February 05, 2020, 06:23:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

The bolts that hold my Cuda hood to the hinge/support appear to be self tapping. They are very rusty, so I'm going to replace them with new 5/16 bolts. They feel a little loose when I screw them in by hand. I'm considering using nylon tape, but wanted to make sure that the originals weren't some odd ball size of self tapping. What say you ?   :D 

JS29

@Racer57        I don't believe they are an odd size, but the metal may have deteriorated from rust.  :alan2cents:

Racer57

That's pretty much what I thought.  Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

70 has a smaller size bolt than other years , I would run a tap in the threads & use new bolts , I use antiseize on everything I assemble also

B5fourspeed

There are  2 different sizes depending on year like Chryro said.

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 05, 2020, 08:35:40 AM
70 has a smaller size bolt than other years , I would run a tap in the threads & use new bolts , I use antiseize on everything I assemble also
Hood is back on. Came here and saw that you recommended exactly what I had done.  :D

The bolts I took off were tapered on the end with a couple slices through the threads like self taping screws are made and washers that can't be removed.  Did the factory use those or is this just something else the frikkin flipper did ?

JS29

Flipper, I don't recall tough's being tread cutter bolts.   :alan2cents:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Racer57 on February 05, 2020, 02:40:59 PM
Hood is back on. Came here and saw that you recommended exactly what I had done.  :D

The bolts I took off were tapered on the end with a couple slices through the threads like self taping screws are made and washers that can't be removed.  Did the factory use those or is this just something else the frikkin flipper did ?

The captured washers are factory and they favor mass production, the assembler doesn't have to grab both a bolt and a washer to assemble.

The thread clearing slits are usually used on threads that are prone to paint build up prior to assembly. Helps mitigate the need to clean the paint out of the threads prior to fastening.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Racer57

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 05, 2020, 04:32:28 PM
Quote from: Racer57 on February 05, 2020, 02:40:59 PM

The captured washers are factory and they favor mass production, the assembler doesn't have to grab both a bolt and a washer to assemble.

The thread clearing slits are usually used on threads that are prone to paint build up prior to assembly. Helps mitigate the need to clean the paint out of the threads prior to fastening.
Amazing how the most odd ball things can all of a sudden make perfect sense.  :D