Main Menu

Trunk floor frame rail all one pice install.

Started by whitsend, July 08, 2022, 10:31:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

whitsend

Hi Body Guys,

I recently bought a 71 Barracuda. and I'm so geeked. It needs rust repair like most of these do so I bought the trunk/frame rails all in one (see attached) to install.
My question is short of building a frame table, what is the best way to install this and keep the rest of the body where it is supposed to be. What all will I have to remove to install this in one piece? I have to replace the tail light panel as well so that will also come off. I do have a Bendpak two post floor lift in my pole barn to help with this task. Or do I just build a frame table to simplify this process as I also have a 71 Challenger convertible needing the same thing.  Thanks!   :cheers:  :banana:  :burnout:

jimynick

Hopefully that pic isn't representative of the panel you're getting for your Cuda, since it's a Challenger panel. Having said that it's possible to weld in some 3/4" angle iron to support your car while you install this large panel, but measure EVERYTHING, twice before you give it a go. Are you also replacing the 1/4's? That'd make your chore a wee bit easier.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jay Bee

Quote from: jimynick on July 09, 2022, 09:00:20 PM
Hopefully that pic isn't representative of the panel you're getting for your Cuda, since it's a Challenger panel.
That's an old generic picture. Once it's unboxed you'll see that it's universal for both. Sorry, can't help with the install, a shop did mine with the existing 1/4 panels and tail panel left on.

anlauto

Save you 1971 e-brake cable brackets, because this floor set-up has the 1970 style :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RacerX

I am using the same piece in my 71 cuda project...

Here is my thread on the topic.   Shows what is involved in the removal and
re-installation.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/71-cuda-finally-getting-some-love-after-28-years/16163/75

whitsend

Thank you so much everyone for the replies and help. I will need all I can get. I've only welded a few times and am certainly no expert but I am willing to try almost any task. I will definitely look through the advice given here as I don't want to mess up this expensive piece. Wish me luck and A big thanks to all of you for helping out.  :cheers:

whitsend

gzig5

I used the one piece assembly on my car and it went well.  I had to get help from a good local shop due to space available at mine and the size/weight of the assembly, but the install was very straight forward. I had them do some other needed work at the same time.  Essentially, they dropped the old assembly out and put the new one in without any other gymnastics.  The shop said it saved a TON of time compared to installing individual pan, rails, etc  and at $80+ per hour it was well worth the cost even though I really didn't need frame rails, but now it is all new and strong.  Time savings doing it all at once paid for a good portion of the part.
Out with the old and in with the new.