Main Menu

trunk lid molding question: 70 Challenger RT-- "SE"

Started by 70Challenger440, August 16, 2022, 02:21:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70Challenger440

I need help with the replacement of my trunk edge molding. I am confused because the car is an RT SE. Does a 70 SE Challenger use the same trunk edge molding as a NON SE? (in terms of shape and finish?)

It is hard to find just the trunk molding without the 2 quarter panel moldings. I came across this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/290760159402
Will this match atleast  the shape of the built-in moldings of my SE tail-panel? Or can you recommend one that is more accurate?

headejm

If I'm not mistaken, all Challengers use the same trunk edge molding. Nothing at all to do with the SE moldings that are on top of the doors and quarter panels.

70Challenger440

(See attached Pic)

If this helps, the molding I need to replace is shown as "2". The SE molding I am trying to match is shown as "1" in the pic. SE's have odd 1/4 panel molding that is built into the entire tail-panel on both sides, unlike a normal Challenger with separate replaceable pieces.

73chalngr

Yes that is unique to se challenger's. If an nos one is available it will be expensive. Might be cost effective to have a shop repair it .

70Challenger440

I do appreciate the replies but even here as on my web googling, some say part #2 is the same on SE and non SE. (see above pic) Others say it is different. (i only need to replace the center molding on the TRUNK). If that center trunk piece is the same, buying one becomes easy. Thanks.

70/6chall

If you are referring to the 70 Challenger rear SE/WSS finish panel like the one shown on pic of rear of car. I have one of those as an extra but have decided to sell it.

70Challenger440

To clarify ... I am looking for the trunk molding that goes in-between the SE tail-panel molding. (see where I circled). Some say that center trunk molding is an SE only part while others say it is the same for all 70 Challengers. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

70/6chall

It is the same trim you'll find on any 70 Challenger. I believe tho that the relief on the trim itself should match up to the relief that's on the quarter panel trim attached to that panel.

Skdmark

The 70 Challenger trunk and quarter moldings are unique to that model year.
They used a different profile for 71-74.

An SE uses the same trunk molding as any other 70.

Here's the same question asked on moparts with some pictures.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1940577/70-challenger-trunk-lid-molding.html
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: