Main Menu

Trunk torsion bar

Started by Sparxx, October 27, 2019, 08:08:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Sparxx

I have a 71 Challenger with the single torsion bar trunk support. It was laying in the trunk when I got the car. I can't for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to be hooked up. I've seen a few pics of the driver's side but never the passenger side. Can anyone help by posting some pics please. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site , I am sure someone can take a picture of a 71 with the bar in place  :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Sparxx   :welcome:   :banana:   If you don't have the photos by tomorrow I will take some photos when I get off work. 

Dakota

Welcome to the site!

There's an existing thread that might help you - see link below.   

I have a 70 so mine is the 2 rod set up.  If you think it would be useful, I can make a short video panning from one side of the trunk to the other so you can see the whole arrangement.  You would just need to PM me your address. 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/trunk-torsion-rod-install/1730/15

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Dakota on October 28, 2019, 02:17:35 AM
Welcome to the site!

I have a 70 so mine is the 2 rod set up.  If you think it would be useful, I can make a short video panning from one side of the trunk to the other so you can see the whole arrangement.  You would just need to PM me your address. 

So does that mean 70 had two rods but 71 and later had only one rod?

Dakota

My understanding is that a '71 has a single thicker torsion rod for the trunk.   I'm saying this based on what I've read, not what I've seen so hopefully someone with more direct experience can confirm or correct. 

Sparxx

Dakota I seen that post and it doesn't show the passenger side. I've also looked at the service manual posts and that doesn't show it very accurate either. That's why I was hoping someone could post a pic. Worked on it for a hour and got no where. Was starting to get pissed.

JS29

:welcome:@Sparxx From central N.Y.  :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on October 28, 2019, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: Dakota on October 28, 2019, 02:17:35 AM
Welcome to the site!

True 70 72-74 had 3 rods , 71 had only 1

So does that mean 70 had two rods but 71 and later had only one rod?

Sparxx

Chryco Psycho

I thought @Cuda Cody was going to post a good picture ? I did not realize he had a 71 though

Cuda Cody

Here's a 1970.  @Sparxx  post some photos of what your's looks like. 

anlauto

Quote from: Sparxx on October 29, 2019, 06:11:51 AM
No one??

Hold tight...I have an original 1971 in my shop right now...............
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

@Sparxx Here you go....1971 Challenger trunk spring.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody