Main Menu

Underside of the trunk lid - What's yours look like?

Started by cataclysm80, February 07, 2017, 05:12:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

I've found a couple trunk lid variations that I hadn't noticed before, so I'm doing a little research into trunk lids.

Mainly I'd like to find out roughly what years / months these different variations were used for, but maybe we can discover more variations while we're at it.
So far, I've seen 6 different Challenger lids & 5 different Barracuda lids.

Please post a picture of the underside of your trunk lid here, AND IF YOU KNOW IT, also the scheduled production date.

When we're done, I'll compile the information in an organized fashion and post it in the Reference section of this forum.

Cuda Cody

This will be cool!  I had not idea that there was so many different variations. 

Cuda Cody

1970 Challenger T/A (Hamtramck) with 3-1970 door mylar sticker and a SPD on the tag of 317.

Cuda Cody

1970 Challenger RT (LA built) 3-1970 on the door mylar sticker and SPD of 311 (March 11th 1970).

Cuda Cody

1970 Cuda (Hamtramck) 10-1969 door mylar sticker and SPD of A06 (Oct 6th 1969)

headejm

1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE (Hamtramck) with factory luggage rack. SPD = 508, mylar sticker = May 1970.

cataclysm80

1970 Dodge Challenger,  August 26th 1969 SPD,  mylar door sticker missing

cataclysm80

1970 Challenger,  August 25th 1969 SPD,  mylar door sticker unknown

has holes which would appear to be for an early version of the J81 Go-Wing Spoiler !
This would place the spoiler at the rear of the trunk lid on the part that slopes downward.
There are no provisions for spoiler reinforcement brackets.

I'd be interested in hearing about early build J81 Go-Wing Spoiler cars!

cataclysm80

1970 Challenger   pic found on internet   (might be an R/T SE)  Unknown SPD or mylar door sticker, but it's relatively early in the production year.

Doesn't have the big hole at the lower right corner. 
If anyone has one of these, I'd like to know the SPD.   I expect it would be around early October 1969.

cataclysm80

1970 Challenger,   I took this pic at a car show in 2006.  Unknown SPD or mylar door sticker.

Has the J81 spoiler mounting holes with reinforcement brackets in their typical location.

I'd like to have a pic of a lid like this without a spoiler mounted so that we can see the holes.

I'd like to know the SPD for these lids.  I expect it to be mid-October 1969 until sometime after January 1st.

cataclysm80

Challenger,  Unknown year but probably 70 or 71,  Unknown SPD

Has a medium sized hole at bottom right corner.  The more I look at this, I suspect that it's been drilled by someone to access the back side of the luggage rack rivnut, and that the factory didn't make trunk lids like this.

Does anyone else have a trunk lid like this?

cataclysm80

1972 Challenger Rallye,  October 26th 1971 SPD (A26),  unknown mylar door sticker.

No more spoiler holes, but still has luggage rack holes.

cataclysm80

1973 Challenger,  I took this pic at a car show in 2006.  Not a great pic of the trunk lid, but it shows part of it.  Unknown SPD.

cataclysm80

Challenger on top
vs
Barracuda on bottom

Just so that you can see how different the stampings are, regardless of which cutout holes they're equipped with.
(both these lids are late production 1970 versions)

cataclysm80

1970 'Cuda,  Unknown SPD, but it's an early build car.

There might be another version of the barracuda trunk lid that is earlier than this one.