Main Menu

Underside of the trunk lid - What's yours look like?

Started by cataclysm80, February 07, 2017, 05:12:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

1970 Barracuda, Unknown SPD

Has cutouts for J81 Go-Wing Spoiler.

headejm

@Cuda Cody  What is your opinion on painted vs. unpainted trunk latch striker? Looks like you leave them unpainted. I believe some were  painted and some unpainted. Mine was painted then adjusted.   :notsure:

cataclysm80

1970 Barracuda, Unknown SPD of pictured car.

Has cutouts for J82 AAR Spoiler.

My SPD June 25th 1970 'Cuda came with a trunk lid like this.

cataclysm80

1971 'Cuda,  Unknown SPD

Spoiler has been moved forward on the trunk lid, and reinforcement brackets have been redesigned for the new location.

cataclysm80

Anyone have pics of 72-74 Barracuda / 'Cuda trunk lids??

We could also use more SPD info if you have any.
This will give us a better idea of when the changeover was for each style.

Cuda Cody

If I had to guess, I would say that a vast majority of originals were painted.  :alan2cents:  That means the bolts were painted too.  Then if you have to adjust the latch it chips the paint and then it starts to chip when you use it.  It's what I would call more correct, but I like the clean look of a plated latch and the ease of being able to adjust it.  But if you're looking to get as close to OEM as possible I would say you're better off painted it body color.

Quote from: headejm on February 07, 2017, 09:00:25 PM
@Cuda Cody  What is your opinion on painted vs. unpainted trunk latch striker? Looks like you leave them unpainted. I believe some were  painted and some unpainted. Mine was painted then adjusted.   :notsure:

Cuda Cody

This is some wonderful photos of deck lids!!!!   :clapping: 

Does anyone have a reproduction deck lid?  Are there any easy ways to tell a reproduction deck lid beside it not having the lot numbers stamped in it? 

cataclysm80

Quote from: headejm on February 07, 2017, 09:00:25 PM
What is your opinion on painted vs. unpainted trunk latch striker?  I believe some were  painted and some unpainted. Mine was painted then adjusted.   :notsure:

That might depend on when the car was built, and at what plant.
Several of the trunk lids I've posted pictures of above are on cars that have been repainted at some point, and some of the pics I don't know the history of the car, but these two pictured below are guaranteed original paint cars, and they both have unpainted trunk latch strikers.
It's a early build 1970 Challenger & a early build 1970 'Cuda.  It would seem that at least Hamtramck cars prior to Octoberish? 1969 had unpainted latches. 
LA build cars could be different, and there could have been a change to painted latches at any point in the future.

(since one side of the striker plate curves up and the other side curves down, I took these pics to make sure the latch was installed in the original orientation.)

cataclysm80

Reviewing my car notes, I'm told that the assembly line used a fixture that mounted where the trunk latch bolts onto the tailpanel.  It had a post that stuck up and somehow held the trunk lid stationary through the seven step dipping process, and remained in place during painting.
After paint, this fixture was removed and replaced with a new unpainted trunk latch, with the painted fixture bolts being reused to hold the latch on.
It seems that MOST strikers were attached to the trunk lid, and painted in place, then adjusted later when the trunk latch was installed.

I've seen with my own eyes that early cars didn't have painted strikers though, so my guess is that the trunk lid wasn't held very securely by the fixture on early cars, and the process was improved by installing the striker to give the fixture something to hold on to.
Here's a couple more original paint pictures.

ec_co

I'll try to remember to get mine when I get home. mine is a very early build '70 LA car
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

70chall440

Here is pics of my 70 Challenger trunk lid; unknown SPD but it is a LA car with a manufacture date of 10-69
Mopar or no car!!!

cataclysm80

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 08, 2017, 05:17:21 PM
Here is pics of my 70 Challenger trunk lid; unknown SPD but it is a LA car with a manufacture date of 10-69

Do you think it's the original trunk lid for that car?

To me, it seems unlikely that an LA built car would get a T/A trunk lid before T/A spoilers or even Go-Wing spoilers were available at Hamtramck, especially considering that T/As weren't built in LA. 

70chall440

Now that you mention is, no I don't. As you can see in the pics, it was yellow underneath and my car was originally vitamin C, so who knows where it came from. I should have thought it out a little better before positing, my bad...  :angry:
Mopar or no car!!!

cataclysm80

It's still neat to see the picture.
Even without an SPD, pictures can help us find new variations.

Thanks for contributing!