Main Menu

Vinyl top trim clips

Started by fireguyfire, August 14, 2019, 01:32:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Getting ready to refinish my 73 challenger back to the factory colour, and install a white vinyl top like it had when new.
Right now it has no vinyl top so the rear vinyl top moulding that goes around below the rear window is missing, and the trim clip holes were filled in with Bondo before it was respirated years ago.
I can faintly see where a couple of the trim clip holes were, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me how many trim clip holes there were for that bottom rear vinyl top trim, and where abouts they are located so I know where to look and knock the bondo out of the holes before I refinish the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

If they were indeed just filled with bondo...crawl in the trunk with a light and a scraper.....knock the bondo worms off and you'll find the holes :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

It's the ones on the C pillar that I can't see from the inside

Bullitt-

from my '73 Challenger , only holes are right behind the side window, the rest are studs

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

70 Challenger Lover

Sounds like someone ground the studs off smooth. If it were me, I'd buy a set of clips for the 70 that have nuts and lay them out evenly around the back. The C pillars use three each so the remainder can be evenly spaced across the back. I'd use the trim as a guide so you don't inadvertently put a clip in a bad spot. I'd tape the trim down to the car so you are absolutely certain it is straight and sitting down right. Use tape to Mark the bottom edge of the trim. Then when you have it mapped out the way you want, you can drill new holes for the trim studs. Shouldn't be too hard. The most critical thing is to be sure the trim is exactly where you want it.

fireguyfire

Great tips gents; thanks!

tparker

Mine is a 70, I can add any photos similar to the above if you need more. I don't have my vinyl top on yet. Hopefully going on in a few weeks. Just let me know if you need any specific pics

fireguyfire

Burdar

The factory plastic trim clips weren't very flexible...the reproductions are unfortunately.  They didn't hold the trim tight to the body.  They just flexed and the trim pulled away.  I ended up using the 1970 style and drilled holes right next to the original "pins".  No one will ever know unless they are laying inside the trunk.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on August 21, 2019, 07:58:57 AM
The factory plastic trim clips weren't very flexible...the reproductions are unfortunately.  They didn't hold the trim tight to the body.  They just flexed and the trim pulled away.  I ended up using the 1970 style and drilled holes right next to the original "pins".  No one will ever know unless they are laying inside the trunk.

:iagree: and of course only bodies in the trunk are dead bodies  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

Just wanted to confirm that the trim clips for a 1970 will work with 1973 vinyl top trim?