Main Menu

Challenger S/E vinyl top molding clips OEM vs Repro ??

Started by autoxcuda, January 16, 2017, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

autoxcuda

I have a wide S/E vinyl top set with 9 original clips.

I see the repro clips don't look at all like the original ones I have. Repro are the S-type spring clip.

Do the repro clips work fine?

Repro

Original (was there more than one type of clip used originally?)

Second pic shows difference in width of the S/E molding. Also the molding sits in a different location/path of the regular molding do to the S/E window plug.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

fc7cuda

I used some clips similar to those repos since all my originals were not reusable.  They worked fine as long as they oriented correctly.  :bigthumb:

Tom

anlauto

I agree, the above clips should work fine. Nice picture of the difference in the trim, most people are unfamiliar with the difference. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

autoxcuda

Ok thanks.

I also notice the reproduction don't have a dense foam seal at the base of the threads and sealant (dum dum) at in the nuts. All original vinyls top hardware on Mopars I've seen have this to keep water out of the trunk.

You can buy speed nuts from Auveco that have sealant on them. And I don't think it would be too hard to make little squares of dense foam for the thread base area. Just the little details missed on reproduction parts that keep them from functioning as well and make them less reliable than original.

On my 68 Barracuda with vinyl top ive seen moisture from inside the trunk from a couple of old leaking vinyl top screws after I washed the car or rain.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

I always put dum-dum around each stud before I put them through the hole :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on January 17, 2017, 06:13:45 AM
I always put dum-dum around each stud before I put them through the hole :alan2cents:

Nice attention to details and especially FUNCTIONAL DETAILS.

RUNCHARGER

I used the repros and they worked fine but yes they need some extra care if you want to keep water out of the trunk.

Sheldon
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Nice Challenger @RUNCHARGER  is it a real Tri-Color car?  The white, green and black look nice together.  :twothumbsup:

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 31, 2017, 08:41:57 AM
I used the repros and they worked fine but yes they need some extra care if you want to keep water out of the trunk.

Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 31, 2017, 09:15:07 AM
Nice Challenger @RUNCHARGER  is it a real Tri-Color car?  The white, green and black look nice together.  :twothumbsup:

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 31, 2017, 08:41:57 AM

Sheldon

No for some crazy reason the owner, the guy @RUNCHARGER built it for wanted a black top :drunk:
Here's what Sheldon started with: http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/DM-RT-SE-FOR-SALE.html

RUNCHARGER

The guy is going to fluff up the stripes too. They should be black in another week or so, taking it away from original and not as unique IMO. I did screw it up with the Hemi and the shaker was on it when I bought it though I suppose. Looking back at it, I should have done a 440 and found an R/T hood for it and kept the car (after cutting out the frame connectors). The tag was a repro though so the only thing for certain was the matching #'s 4 speed.

Sheldon
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Looks like a super clean car.  FJ5 looks work good with black or white stripes.   Breaks up the color well.   :alan2cents: