Main Menu

Vinyl Top Wide vs Narrow Seam

Started by tparker, October 13, 2019, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

So it looks like most if not all 1970 Challengers are wide seams according to a little bit of googling. Is the absolutely true? Mine was a narrow seam, but I have no way of verifying if it was original. I suspect it was but who knows. I prefer to put the narrow seam one back on. I was about ready to start the processes when I laid out the top and noticed the seams were way to close to the edges than I remember.

I'd return it, but I had it for a while and it was a replacement for the first one Yearone shipped me that was actually sewn in backwards. LOL. I'll probably let this one go at a discount. Argh.

7E-Bodies

I did some big time learning on the following thread. It was based on green tops, but fully applies on the seam width issue. @6bblgt and @anlauto were very helpful amongst others. 11 page thread, but worth the read. https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/1970-challenger-v1f-green-vinyl-top-what-color-was-it/6621/135
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

I'm pretty sure the gator grain tops were narrow seam, I'm not sure about what SEs had, but I'd be surprised if any other Challengers with regular vinyl tops had anything other than wide seam in '70.

7E-Bodies

Mine was apparently "boar grain" and a wide seam. I'm currently on the long wait for SMS.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on October 13, 2019, 03:29:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the gator grain tops were narrow seam, I'm not sure about what SEs had, but I'd be surprised if any other Challengers with regular vinyl tops had anything other than wide seam in '70.

My R/T SE was wide seam, my buddies Gator Grain was wide seam...

tparker

Here's some photos, complete with sunroof :drunk:. Maybe this wasn't original top. The seams look a little different and I don't see much grain in the top, but it is in bad shape. I'll have to hunt around and see if I still have a strip of it laying around somewhere. Know that I'm thinking so hard I also recall the material being different, a softer material.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

7E-Bodies

7E-Bodies

What color is your top supposed to be? Can you post a pic of your fender tag?

tparker

here it is. Vinyl top is original, not sure if that one was, but was the narrow seam.

6bblgt

:iagree: those pictured above are NOT of an original top

7E-Bodies

Wow. She really rotted at the center of the roof. Not used to seeing that.

Burdar

Wide seam is correct for 70-72.  The narrow seam started in 73.  The Challenger on the cover of the 73 dealer brochure is actually a 72 with some airbrushed modifications.  It shows a wide seam top.

IMO the wide seam top is fugly.  The windshield and back glass is a perfect starting/stopping point for the seam.  It just looks goofy running down the C-pillar. :alan2cents:

anlauto

I agree with the panel...That's not an original top, but Darren has a good point too...wide seams look kinda odd ??
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I'm the other way, I really like the wide seam and think it's cool the way it runs down the C-pillar. Also unique from other cars. It's one thing that makes Challengers cooler than Cudas!
Sheldon