Main Menu

What goes here on the door edge? Bumper or guide?

Started by chaps70rt, December 27, 2020, 09:48:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

Is there a guide or rubber piece that is supposed to be screwed on to these two vertical threaded holes?   Can't seem to find any reference
in the Service Manual or 70-71 Body Parts Reference books from Mopar.   See pic ......

If so, where can I purchase these for each door?

Thanks ...... Gary
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

anlauto

Is your car a convertible ? Those two holes are used on convertibles only. A black plastic wedge screws there with two screws... :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chaps70rt

No ..... it's a hardtop.    Do the screw holes get left open then??
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

anlauto

On a hardtop, they were never holes, just divots, I'm guessing somebody had the door on a convertible at one time, or opened up the holes for something else :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Jay Bee

chaps70rt

Thanks Guys ...... on further inspection of the original driver door has just dimples.   The passenger door was off originally orange and of a 70 Challenger convertible I suspect??   This explains the two holes.   Thanks Alan ...... you were correct.

Now ...... what to do with the holes?   Leave them as is ..... or add the guide?    What was the purpose of this guide and why only on
convertibles?   Thanks for resolving this mystery.
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

anlauto

Floyd

I had to fill a couple extra holes that were similar size and had good results using a JB Weld SteelStick.  I wanted to avoid heat damage from welding.  It was nice to be able to access both sides of the hole so I could press the paste flat.  End results top and bottom left the repair looking like a spot weld, which I can live with in a low visibility area like I had.

Burdar

QuoteNow ...... what to do with the holes? 

Since you're concerned about the holes, you should also be concerned about the door latch and attaching screws.  The screws and latch were never body color.  You should remove those and strip the white paint off of them.  It will really clean up the look of the door.   :alan2cents:

headejm

Quote from: chaps70rt on December 29, 2020, 06:20:32 AMWhat was the purpose of this guide and why only on
convertibles?

:popcorn: Anyone have an answer?

worthywads

Quote from: headejm on December 29, 2020, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: chaps70rt on December 29, 2020, 06:20:32 AMWhat was the purpose of this guide and why only on
convertibles?

:popcorn: Anyone have an answer?

The wedge aligns with the spring loaded wedge that is in the door jamb on convertibles.  It is intended to restrict the movement of the door as the body flexes.

Burdar

Lots of body flex with no roof.  The wedges "wedge" the doors to the jamb and keep them from moving around too much.

chaps70rt

Wow ..... what a wealth of knowledge imposed here.    Thank you guys for sharing all of the above information.   That helps a ton!!!

For anyone else out there interested in know the difference of convertible doors vs. hardtop this is extremely valuable.

Cheers!!
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi