Main Menu

Which is the real Plum Crazy??

Started by 70RTSE383, July 22, 2019, 10:54:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I'm very close to getting my Challenger painted. I want to do FC7 but am not sure what the real color looks like. There are not a lot of purple cars around here to see and when I find one  I am not able to determine if what the paint I'm looking at is an accurate representation of fc7. For instance, my wife and I were up in LA to see a concert and stopped by a local car museum (the driving museum). They have a 70' Challenger there that is a semi restored race car. It is presented as Plum Crazy. The paint is a nicely done base coat, clear coat. But the color comes off as some others I have seen (two coat or single) and looks pale and kind of pinkish.
I have one piece of factory painted metal that is fc7. That is the mounting bracket welded to the trans tunnel that is always covered in carpet. The paint on it is original as beat as I can tell.it is the color I remember fc7 to be. So have others noticed this before. What do you do, take the piece of metal in to have it matched? Help would be appreciated.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

torredcuda

Modern formulas of FC7 vary widely it seems. Best thing you can do is find an original piece like you have as long as it`s not faded from sun and weather, inside areas are best, and have the paint shop scan it. You may still have to mess around with tints to get a really good match as the paint has changed and the tints used to mix the paint are not exactly the same as the old paint systems.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70RTSE383

Thanks Jeff, I have been shopping for a pain/body shop. Jesus they are expensive. Any their advise was similar. Thy said bring the orig paint part in and they will do a mid sample and do a spray out. It should show the variations possible. Match to the part and take it from there. More reasonable paint work would be absolute tops on my list of things that need serious cost reduction in this hobby. It's just nuts. Maybe wraps will one day improve to the point of being used or something else entirely like dipping 😂
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Burdar

The original plum crazy wasn't nearly as "purple" as what we usually see today.  Check out this thread on Moparts.  Specifically, have a look at the picture "70plymA34" posted.  You can click on the link and the picture will load.  You can see how the color is more bleached out and not as purple as you might think.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1479167/what-does-real-plum-crazy-purple-look-like.html

JS29

@70RTSE383  Part of the problem is the cost to buy the materials needed, the tree hugging freaks, the EPA, and the paint company's are killing guys like me. then labor, tax's, rent and or payments. I just fixed a 2019 Honda ridgeline $6000.00 labor was $700.00 the rest was parts and materials. I guess plastic has gotten vary expensive!  The cost to operate is so out of control, I wonder why I do it sometimes.  :deadhorse: 

headejm

:alan2cents: Since FC7 is a pretty heavy metallic paint, it really matters how you apply it. I used the current PPG FC7 formula with one light base coat, three  heavy coats, and two dust coats. The dust coats keep the metallic consistent across the various body panels. Difficult to show paint colors in photos but I'm happy with it and it matches closely to some of the original paint found on the car.

Chryco Psycho

I actually disagree with Burdar on this one , we did a custom mix from memory for my friends GTX , when I pulled apart my chall to restore it there was some original paint behind the brake supprt plate on the firewall , it was virtually identical to the mix we had , we had spryed out 8 mixes from large paint suppliers & none of those were close , the problem is on a computer it is hard to reproduce the color , the camera taking the picture , lighting & the monitor you are using can alter the color
My chall is repainted with the same mix we used on my friends GTX , it is a dark & rich purple  :bigthumb:

70RTSE383

headejm and Chryco. That pic head has and my shift mount look very similar. Cry that deep rich purple is what Im looking for. Do you by chance have the recipe or some other way to get that color. Same for you headejm.
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

anlauto

If you're dead set about getting the "real" colour then the work lies ahead of you for sure.

If you want a really nice deep purple with plenty of depth and sparkle, consider the new plum crazy available from Chrysler...Your paint guy will thank you !
Here's some samples:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Here's a 71 Cuda we did with the best representation of the "right" colour we could come up with parked next to the 71 Challenger posted above...sorry not the best picture...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Chryco Psycho

I posted it on the old CC site , you can search there it should still be posted if not I can probably get it again

70RTSE383

Thanks guys. I am trying to re enter the other site so had to re register as my previous info doesn't work. Hopefully I can find Chrycos formula.
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

cuda hunter

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.msg542127#msg542127

This one?
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 25, 2019, 05:51:29 PM
I posted it on the old CC site , you can search there it should still be posted if not I can probably get it again
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

From Mr. Psycho:
OK here is the formula for the Plum Crazy PPG mix , I compared it to my original paint today & it is just a shade dark using DBC Deltron 2000 basecoat
this is the codes & amounts to mix 1 gallon
Code    Amount
624   -  1542.4
1687  -  2000.0
614   -  2224.0
1686  -  2336.0
622   -  2448.0
685   -  2521.6
1689  -  top off the gallon can

Chryco Psycho

I did a quick search & I can't find the post with my formula , I will keep looking tho