Main Menu

Which year is this V5X molding?

Started by Skdmark, September 26, 2020, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

Agreed Cuda Hunter, I've seen a lot of the various side mouldings whether factory (the glued on variety) or the after market screwed on type. The ones you display with the pin stripe around it is definitely new to me. It's always a good thing to add any and all information that you have to shed more light on an option that was largely looked upon as a design faux pas. I was one of the guys that actually added these side protection items back in 1975 to help keep the sides of the car free of damage. Using mine as a daily driver the vinyl side moulding  kept the door shots down to a minimum. But now with  the advent of truer restorations this option needs to be addressed. Thanks,   Al

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on September 27, 2020, 01:38:56 PM
You can't compare 1970 Cuda body side moldings to 1970 Challenger body side moldings....They are totally different. :alan2cents:

As far as the ones I have held and own the challenger mouldings are the same with the exception of the shapes and length. Same products.  Barracuda is straight and challenger is curved for the body line. Also the lengths are different.  However I have not measured the front fender length or the door length of the mouldings.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

:iagree: totally different

1970 & '71 Barracuda V5_ mouldings are stick on all vinyl (different from year to year)

Challenger V5_ are vinyl mounted in metal moulding that is attached with holes, pins, clips & screws

the "short" mouldings shown above are NOT factory installed pieces

6bblgt

the problem with aftermarket body-side-mouldings like on the OP's car is a likely screw or rivet every 8-12" down the side of the car

6bblgt

1971 V5X  :takealook:

70/6chall

You are correct Dan, the guy that installed my after market vinyl side moulding did measure off every 8" or so for the screws holding the alum channel on (small Phillips head). The last time I had the car painted I removed the moulding to get paint under it and to get paint into screw holes and to powder coat the channel. But I  did put the moulding back on after paint cured. I figured it had been on since '75 so I just kept it as is. Thanks for all your info.  Al

cuda hunter

Wow.  Those 71 v5x's have a very different profile from the 70 v5r pictures I posted. 

Are those profiles entirely different from the challengers then?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

cuda hunter

So, 70 and 71 v5's are different from each other on cuda's.  Are they also different from the 72-74's?

Are the challenger 70 and 71 also unique?  And are the 2-4's also unique from the 70 71 challenger?

PLY474

My 74 cuda V5X.  I think it's all adhesive.  I never removed them, but don't see any interior screws or nuts.

cuda hunter

those 74's appear to have the same shape as the 71 but they have a larger stainless piece that wraps further onto the rubber insert. 

Skdmark

No worries on a hijack.
Got  my questions answered and learning new things about an option that is not highly documented. All good.

Thanks for the pics and discussion.

:popcorn:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: