Main Menu

Who makes the best taillight bezels and where are they sold

Started by 70RTSE383, May 26, 2019, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

Thanks for the help on my previous post. I am now looking for very good taillight bezels for my 70' Challenger. I polished out the lenses to my satisfaction but the chrome needs replacing. I see these for about $400-$575 for a set of three. I have no idea what they look like other than pics as to fit and finish. Also some have the Mopar blessed message next to them others don't. This is not a concours build but a very nice stock vehicle. What ones are the best and how do I identify them online when venders don't say who made them?

Thanks,
John
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Katfish

anlauto

I believe there's only one manufacture, PG Classics out of Canada.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Has the quality improved with PG? I bought a wood grain wheel a few years back from them. It looked nice but the edges were very rough. It was a serious disappointment and I was reminded of the quality every time I drove it.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 26, 2019, 04:53:09 PM
Has the quality improved with PG? I bought a wood grain wheel a few years back from them. It looked nice but the edges were very rough. It was a serious disappointment and I was reminded of the quality every time I drove it.

You aren't alone... Funny thing, when Peter Gee (PG) first started reproducing parts he was partners with Mike Ross (BEA) & Mike's stuff was always a few dollars more but he wouldn't sell stuff that wasn't nice, You want parts that come out of the mold fairly soon after the mold is serviced but you also want enough parts run through to find out if there are issues with the mold....  PG would & likely still will sell what ever comes out of the mold... Mike on the other hand would scrap stuff that wasn't up to his standards...

Mike (BEA) shows the bezels on his website for $455... You might want to call him.... :alan2cents:

Phone (330) 725-3990

anlauto

This is partially true. Peter Gee was in business for years making his parts long before BE&A got involved. PG's parts were never licensed by Chrysler and still aren't. BE&A are solely responsible for all the licensing of the parts being produced by Peter in China, but sold only exclusively through BE&A.
PG would actually grind off the pentastars and in some cases run the same parts without part numbers, and sell them at a reduced rate. It was, in my opinion, that BE&A picked the cream of the crop parts for themselves and that Peter sold off all the seconds and parts that didn't meet BE&A's standards. To the best of my knowledge, the licensed parts are no longer being manufactured or stocked.

In my opinion...both companies were very successful selling their products, and we should be very grateful for the many awesome parts that they brought to market over the years....however, like I mentioned in the ECS trunk mat thread....IT IS MY BELIEF that there is a much larger buying public that would rather save a few bucks by buying the lower priced items even with the huge differences in quality...this is evident by the fact that PG Classics remains very successful turning out more and more products every year with more and more vendors carrying their parts. BE&A ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Chryco Psycho

I would also check with Dave @ Roseville , he may use the same source but I doubt he would ship out sub quality parts without at least discussing ti with you first + you would get a discount  :twothumbsup:

70RTSE383

70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

RUNCHARGER

I had a set of the PG or BEA ones on my green Challenger and they were pretty decent. On my orange Challenger though I had a set of CNC machined ones and they were absolutely perfect, way above factory quality. However I don't know where the previous owner purchased them because he bought them before I bought the project from him.
Sheldon

anlauto

I do remember somebody making a short run of those, but don't remember who....it couldn't have been too cost affective  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 12, 2019, 05:58:02 PM
I had a set of the PG or BEA ones on my green Challenger and they were pretty decent. On my orange Challenger though I had a set of CNC machined ones and they were absolutely perfect, way above factory quality. However I don't know where the previous owner purchased them because he bought them before I bought the project from him.
I believe I bought the last set of those for my car , the billet CNC , they were expensive but he told me he was not making anymore so I grabbed them , it was the last set he had period  :bigthumb:

1 Wild R/T

I looked at those the time I made it to the Mopar Nationals.... Beautiful!!  Unfortunately I heard he passed away...

Chryco Psycho

That could be , I cannot remember what year I bought them & if it was Carlisle or the nats but is was 15 + years ago , probably more like 20 years back , I had them wrapped & stored for a while before I pulled them out & used them in 09 .

Floyd

That was Dave Seward from Port St. Lucie, FL.  Unfortunately, cancer took him a number of years ago.  I can't remember exactly how we met, but I ended up letting him share my swap space at Carlisle the first year he made the billet bezels.  We ended up sharing the space at Carlisle and the Nats for a number of years.  He and his family were very nice people.  He also made CNC Challenger side marker lights as well. 

Katfish

Surprised no one else has picked up doing CNC bezels.
With SW and CNC advancements it would be pretty simple.