Main Menu

Window Fuzzie Question

Started by headejm, May 10, 2019, 06:37:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Those are some old photos I took years ago when I was taking about a 1970 Challenger.  I'll see if I have any other photos...

Cuda Cody

:twothumbsup:

headejm

Quote from: Banana on May 12, 2019, 09:09:08 AM
Question:

For the front and rear fuzzies: Do the flat sides, or the curved up ends go against the window?

Or, do the screw hole countersinks go against the door or outward toward the screw head?

Thanks

:alan2cents: Here is how I believe they get installed. The screw flute should go against the countersink in the fuzzie. Why else would they countersink the hole?

headejm

Interesting that Cody's 2nd picture has the rear screw missing? To alleviate the clearance issue?

I'm thinking about grinding a small amount off of the rear track up by the bolt to give some clearance for the fuzzy. Hard to imagine that Chrysler built thousands of 1970 E-bodies with a clearance problem on these parts.  :notsure:

Banana

I'm not sure.....if you notice, the flat head screw stands proud of the fuzzie in Cody's picture.....the flat head screws are not angled so the countersink doesnt make sense......

i'm going to try to install opposite your picture.....haven't been to the garage yet.......

Cuda Cody

I think I still have some original untouched Challenger doors loaded with all the guts that I can get out of storage and check if needed.

headejm

That would be fantastic Cody. Interested in 1970 hardware.  :cheers:

headejm

Quote from: Banana on May 12, 2019, 04:19:49 PM
I'm not sure.....if you notice, the flat head screw stands proud of the fuzzie in Cody's picture.....the flat head screws are not angled so the countersink doesnt make sense......

i'm going to try to install opposite your picture.....haven't been to the garage yet.......

I believe my screws are original. They are not flathead screws they are fluted. Even with the countersink in the bracket, the head of the screw sits above (proud) the bracket slightly.

Banana

You are on track....I'm way off.......they go on as you say.

So why do the smaller fuzzies not fit? I am having major intereference with the right side......fuzzie hitting the vertical bracket.....at least 1/8" or more sitting proud of the door sheet metal due to the interference.

Gotta be something we are missing,........can't be that much interference

I'm also tempted to deform the fuzzie to fit, but I'm holding off until we find out what's going on.

Banana

Cody thanks very much for all the pix.....had to cut off some of the back of the fuzzie (not visible)....interference was too great with the vertical track. All is good now.

Dakota

Quote from: Banana on May 12, 2019, 05:34:39 AM
@headejm

Unless I missed a trick, there is NO WAY to install the bracket bolt which is hidden behind the rear fuzzie with the window IN.

I came across this thread after I replaced the "fuzzy" stuff on the outer guides for my 70 Challenger.  I got the rear one in without removing the window or changing anything inside the door.  The door panel and the two inner window guides were removed. The window was rolled down completely.   I wedged the guide under the rubber seal along the top of the door to hold the guide in place with the screw holes lined up, pulled the rear top of window towards the inside of the car and got the screws started a few turns with my fingers.  This created enough enough room to use this dinky ratchet to tighten them.  I knew there was a risk of the window breaking but it worked for me.

Dakota

For the guides on the outside edge of the glass, the screw holes in the original (left) were smaller than the screw holes for the reproduction (right).  I don't remember where I bought the repros.  They didn't come with screws.  The original screws were too small to hold the repros in place so I decided to recover the old ones. 

The pics below shows what I used to recover them and the difference with the original.  There are multiple sources for the Velcro.  This one gave me pieces big enough to trim easily.  The new stuff is plenty sticky to go around the tight bends.  It's not as plush as the original.  Time will tell how these new stuff holds up. 

Dakota

This is a plea for help. 

I saw the earliest posts in this thread he show how the outer guides are positioned (large in front, small in rear), but what about the inner guides?  In the obit below, are "A" and "B" in the correct position or are they reversed?   This is how the came out of the car, but there's no guarantee the body shop got these right when the reassembled the car.   It looks to me like they should be reversed based on how they fit against the window, but I'm not sure. 

anlauto

I've never come across two different ones in the same door like that, I think the one is bent  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Quote from: anlauto on May 11, 2022, 04:20:38 AM
I've never come across two different ones in the same door like that, I think the one is bent  :alan2cents:

Thanks Alan.    Both of the rear "outer" fuzzies were bent the same like B in the photo above.  I bent both of the B's to match A.   The window tracks fine and there is no more annoying window rattle every time I close the door.   Truth be told, I didn't let it rattle.   I use to put a finger or two on the glass when I closed the door (window down) to keep it from rattling.   THAT was annoying.