Main Menu

Year One AAR hood quality/brand

Started by Crash520, February 19, 2017, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Anyone bought and used an AAR hood from YO? I'd like to get an AAR hood, yep I know there at everything good brands out there but I'm not paying $2300.00 freight, YO quoted me $650 freight which is in the ball park I'm prepared to pay AND while they are advertised at the same price as the ones made in Florida, YO have them at 30% off from time to time.
Anyone have real time use feedback OR an alternate shipping method option WITH ball park price
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Cuda Cody

As soon as I get home tonight I'll post some of my thoughts...  I've order and used 3 or 4 from them.

Thank you for joining us here!!!   :welcome:

Crash520

Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Markp

I ordered one a few weeks ago still has not shown up I will let you know as soon as it arrives.
1974 Cuda Pro Street HP?????
2000 Camaro SS 383 Stroker 550hp
2016 Challenger Hellcat 707HP

cataclysm80

ASC&P hoods are the most like factory hoods.
In years past, I've heard that ASC&P supplied Year One.
I bought and used a Year One AAR 'Cuda hood back around 2004.  It does resemble the ASC&P hoods.
I'm happy with the hood.  It still had some slight warping issues with hood springs installed, but not as severe as factory hoods.
I'm not sure if Year One's current hoods are still the same.
ASC&P is going to stop making these hoods at the end of this month.
If they were supplying Year One, I'd guess that Year One would have bought a few to have on hand, and when they're gone, that's it.

AAR brand fiberglass makes really nice quality hoods, but they don't look like original.  They are a good option if you don't care about original appearance, hood alignment bumpers, or things like that.

Or, if you want even less accurate light weight racing fiberglass, there's a place in California, but the fit isn't as nice, so expect some bodywork if you want it to look good.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  100% correct.

I've done (if I recall) 4 T/A or AAR hoods from Year One.  They look as close to original as you're going to find.  But they will still warp a little with the hood springs over time.  So I leave the springs off most of the time.  BY FAR the hardest part with these is getting them shipped without damage.  The little to light amount of padding and reinforcing they ship it with is amazing.  Basically some cardboard on each side is about what they ship it with.  The hoods that did show up undamaged always supersized me.  I've had to send one back and another they gave me a deal on as I could fix it and use it.   So make sure you have it insured very well.   And here's a BIG tip to save you a major headache later.  Test fit you hood AND your wipers arms.   Because these hoods are stronger and thicker the wiper arms will not clear the back lip unless you sand the fiberglass down.  All of the repop T/A & AAR hoods I've used I've had to sand down the back lip so the wiper arms clear and worked.

Hope that helps you @Crash520   And thank you for joining us on the Forum.  We hope you'll share some photos of your car with us.   :slapme5:

Chryco Psycho

cataclysm80

Barry from ASC&P just said that they've never supplied Year One.  They don't like wholesale pricing on these because of all the work that goes into making them.

I'm not sure who the Year One supplier is then
I was happy with the Year One hood that I got, but that was years ago.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 19, 2017, 08:00:14 PM
Because these hoods are stronger and thicker the wiper arms will not clear the back lip unless you sand the fiberglass down.  All of the repop T/A & AAR hoods I've used I've had to sand down the back lip so the wiper arms clear and worked.

Were all of yours Year One hoods?
What years were they purchased?

Luckily, I didn't have that problem with my 2004 Year One AAR 'Cuda hood.

My T/A hood came straight from ASC&P.  I'll have to test fit it with the wipers as you suggested, and see what happens.

Crash520

Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Crash520

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll run with a YO option, and wait for a 30% off code, and insure it. I'm not after OEM look a like to the letter, just reasonable quality and hope it makes it out here in one piece
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Cuda Cody

All mine came from Year One and all within the last 3 years.

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 19, 2017, 10:20:57 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 19, 2017, 08:00:14 PM
Because these hoods are stronger and thicker the wiper arms will not clear the back lip unless you sand the fiberglass down.  All of the repop T/A & AAR hoods I've used I've had to sand down the back lip so the wiper arms clear and worked.

Were all of yours Year One hoods?
What years were they purchased?

Luckily, I didn't have that problem with my 2004 Year One AAR 'Cuda hood.

My T/A hood came straight from ASC&P.  I'll have to test fit it with the wipers as you suggested, and see what happens.

nsmall

Crash520, love your car.  What color is that?  Markp, you just broke the budget with that hood bro.  I'm sure it will look great though. 

Shoooter

Crash520

Thanks nsmall, well it's a factory T9X/T9X car that a previous owner resprayed poorly in a gun metal grey and at some point someone put a vinyl roof on it, the vinyl will be removed in a week or two just cause it freaks me out what's under it and hiding, so far so good peeking under the edges and trims etc, by end of year I hope it'll be back in black again
Greg
Brisbane
Australia